Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Laptop Grey Screen on Startup  (Read 35202 times)

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Laptop Grey Screen on Startup
« on: March 04, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »

I try and start my laptop and I just get a grey screen.

IVe tried tappying F2, F8, F10 etc... nothing works. Just sits on Grey Screen.

What do?

-

-

-

p*rnstar

• RSFL Captain
Re: Laptop Grey Screen on Startup
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 02:16:35 PM »

prob bad video card which is not good with laptops

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »

So what do I do

-

-

-

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:44:06 PM »

do u have warranty on it still? if so, use it. if not, try seeing how much it would cost to repair it (chances are you'd be better off to buy a new laptop if it actually is the video card that's at fault).

Pheef

• Common Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 05:03:54 PM »

First thing I would try would be to eliminate the possibility of it being a bad video card. I don't know a whole lot about troubleshooting computers, but I'd do the following:

Since I have my laptop password protected, I'd turn on the computer and let it sit for a few minutes to make sure windows has had enough time to fully load up.  I would then blindly type in my password once I was sure it had enough to load.  I would then hope to hear my traditional "windows starting up sound".  If you hear that then it's your video card.

I would also try hooking up the laptop to an external monitor.  See if you can get any visual through that at any point in the process.

If all that fails, the problem most likely lays elsewhere.  My guess would be a fried motherboard if it can't even load up the bios. 

Other general fixes.  Try booting plugged in, not plugged in, with battery in, with battery out, etc etc.  I've heard of issues with irregular voltage fucking with computers before.

Dr. Janky

• Registered Posting Whore
    • xyst Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

Chances of it being a software related issue are very slim. Gray screens can be caused by driver problems, but generally you wont see the gray screen until windows starts to load.  Also, f8 would work, in theory. 

Left-handed Hammer

• Making a Name
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:17 AM »

I would also try hooking up the laptop to an external monitor.  See if you can get any visual through that at any point in the process.

Easy to do, will tell the most

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »

Easy to do, will tell the most
tried this before, but nothing happened...if i have it plugged in prior to boot up it will just goto that screen rgiht

-

-

-

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 01:46:10 AM »

Im assuming ure running a pc but generally on a mac I would say that a blank gray screen would be the harddrive failing 2 boot. If u have a bootable external or a friend with one I would plug that into ur computer and try to boot from that 2 confirm. Hard drives are pretty cheap atm.
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

jalrix

• Making a Name
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »

Your mobos built in integrated GPU is dead if u got same on external monitor and you can't even get to bios. U don't have dedicated GPU right ( do u have nvidia sticker on your laptop or some shit)?

I would throw it out nearest window if u have no warranty. Or see about replacement mobo

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

http://rshl.org/zilla/lgroster.htm

Can you guess how many teams I am on?

Pheef

• Common Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »

Heh.  Jal said what I was too hesitant to due to lack of experience.  With the price of laptops I wouldn't bother with a replacement motherboard if it's out of warranty.  If it's out of warranty chances are it's old enough you'll be better off with a new one.  Can get a solid i5 for ~500 nowadays.  Wouldn't throw it out the window before snagging the hard drive though.  Should still be able to scrape off all your old files if you want.

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

confirm that is the issue before you do anything because if it does end up being something like the hard-drive or even a bad stick of ram those are relatively cheap fixes. It could be the mobo but what you've described could definitely be something else. It's worth trying 2 eliminate all the options

jalrix

• Making a Name
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

I cud have jumped gun. So go ahead and try booting without hard drive attached, the try without ram attached. Doubtful that's issue.

Also, try resetting cmos . Open laptop,Find that battery and re- insert it. YouTube will work wonder for instructions on finding a guide to open your laptop

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 03:39:13 PM »

might not be likely that its the ram but its always best to try the simplest stuff first because you never know. Honestly everything is filtered by personal experience, I think its probably a hard drive issue based on my experiences. Chances that it is the ram are slim but if it is that saves a lot of time and money and its super easy 2 find out

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:41:30 PM »

SENT FROM MY GALAXY NEXUS 6.9 USING TAPATALK 5.2 ICECREAM SANDWICH BAR OS 5.259285928

jalrix

• Making a Name
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »

might not be likely that its the ram but its always best to try the simplest stuff first because you never know. Honestly everything is filtered by personal experience, I think its probably a hard drive issue based on my experiences. Chances that it is the ram are slim but if it is that saves a lot of time and money and its super easy 2 find out

Bios loads before HD, because the BIOS tells the motherboard what device to try an load windows on first. If there is no HD present, it will search for other locations that could possibly have an OS installed ( CD, USB, network) If it can't find a HD, or the HD is corrupt, it will either give a BSOD, or say no operating system found, system.ini not found,  or some other type of error.

If this problem was actually his HD he should be able to boot from a CD, or any other type of device ( he could install windows 7 on a flash drive and boot from it). I don't know why I doubted myself before, it is 100% not the HD.

It could still be RAM, as just reseating the RAM can fix strange issues like this.

If all he gets is some gray screen then the BIOS isn't loading, which means reset the CMDOS or buy a new motherboard.

When your laptop is on, if you hit caps lock or num lock, do lights come on ur keyboard?

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »

Exactly, if the problem is the HD he could boot from something else, which is why he should try to boot from something else which is what I suggested before. You are wrong about the HD it doesn't always give an error or message that tells you it can't find the HD etc. Not saying 100% it is the HD but in many similar cases in the past where I've been troubleshooting computers that won't boot from a gray blank screen the problem has been the hard drive. As I said though I work primarily with Macs which could be a lot different symptomatically but it seems like a similar premise.

jalrix

• Making a Name
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 11:58:44 PM »

cause when he said he taps F2-f10-f12 he doesn't get options to boot from other media. That means his bios is not loading u poop. i have never troubleshooted a mac so therefore u could be correct but he has a windows pc i am pretty sure.

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 12:11:21 AM »

well u wouldn't be able 2 do that once it reached the gray screen because it locks up. At a point where you can't boot to boot from another source you typically need to press the keyboard functions while you are powering on the computer as it is posting. All he said was that tapping buttons while at the grey screen doesn't do anything. Maybe he already tried doing stuff like booting into safe mode etc but my understanding from his post was that pressing the buttons after it had already reached the grey screen wouldn't do anything which would be 2 late 4 it 2 do anything.

But like I said, Mac guy, where a case like this would be the hard drive or corrupt OS or at least is a lot easier to determine (apparently).

Pheef

• Common Poster
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »

Serious question, wtf do you do to troubleshoot macs?  Thought it went, if it isn't working, reboot. 

Gonna side with jal on this one. I would say it is not the HD.  He made a good point of trying to reset the CMOS battery.  Try resetting the ram too since you'd have the case open anyway and it's an easy fix.

Also, wouldn't he be able to hear the HD spinning up?
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 18 queries.