Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wider Crease  (Read 2316 times)

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Wider Crease
« on: January 08, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »

I am looking at trying out a crease that is deeper in the middle, to give more room to shoot & pass against a cr sit.
Maybe also a bit thinner on the sides, to make room for people to receive passes in there, or cut through the new cr tiles. 
This can leave much more room for passing and shooting lanes.
On the downside, it might also make it harder to sweep shots.
Original
Deeper center
Deeper center, shallower sides
Original with changes highlighted

Any thoughts?

PS. We play with circular ships why not make the entire crease in LVZ and use a curved crease line.  As long as the line is made with an equation we can make it work in the code, and it'd result in less discrepancy between visual and module calls.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:32:58 AM by Goldeye »
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
Re: Wider Crease
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:16 AM »

I've put the one with both changes up in pub for now to see what happens.

On a tangent, I'm also curious to see what happens if we make shooting inside the crease legal, and give goalies a very effective no dud rapid multifire with a spread all around the ship, to allow them to hold their ground. 
Obviously, the multifire must be very very reliable. 
This is pretty related to the double crease idea that has been thrown around, but I think it is a good deal more natural.
It might require a bit of legislation: the defensive crease rule still needs to stand, but what about if a forward is in the crease?  Is there anything wrong with a forward being in the crease early?
I think the right solution would be that the DC is negated while an attacker is in the crease, and only while the DCer is covering that attacker.
Also, one timers or slapshots inside the crease would not be allowed due to the certainty of prox cut.
The biggest pitfall I can think of is screening the goalie's bullets, which I would probably say is a no goal & penalty if it is easy to do intentionally, but rare unintentionally.

And I know someone will say something about walking into the crease being a terribly lame way to score.  It's more about allowing people to score from the crease line than walking in, but if you do, you had to find a way to get there without the goalie and D getting you.  Is it so bad for a goal to be the result of a nice play rather than a nice shot?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:43:03 AM by Goldeye »
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »

so you can post ram,do that laggy skip and dunk it?

Possibly allow shots in CR under following conditions:

- new Super CR region - draw a line down from infront of the 2 posts... ie you cant fly into the net and dunk it
- Cant bounce of post and score inside the CR - its inherently laggy, but we can keep the scoring outside the cr off a post ram legal.
- cant receive puck inside CR to score. ( only ball carrier who enters the cr can shoot and score inside the cr )
- An OCR rule - if another offensive player enters the crease and blocks the ball carrier from the goalie that goal will not stand. ( or could keep it simpler 1 O player in the crease when scoring )
- cant be a DC when the player passes from inside the crease ( AS IT IS NOW )
- NO SLAPSHOTS INSIDE CR

Buff the goalies checking.

"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »

dont really want to see forwards trying to deke goalie and dunk it for clean goals. but it would be good if offense could go slightly further in than defense. like make line count as dc but not as cr.

wiggly crease with a lot of corners makes it harder to cr sit all the way backed up. pretty common move to get into that fett spot and slide up or down.

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:11 PM »

- new Super CR region - draw a line down from infront of the 2 posts... ie you cant fly into the net and dunk it
Why not?  Seems utterly pointless...
- Cant bounce of post and score inside the CR - its inherently laggy, but we can keep the scoring outside the cr off a post ram
Fair enough, but I'd want to test it first, and see if normal g lag works rather than a special rule.
- cant receive puck inside CR to score. ( only ball carrier who enters the cr can shoot and score inside the cr )
I see where you're coming from, I think to be fair to D. But on the other hand, the backdoor tap in is a very hockey play.  Still this rule would be much easier than "D after O"
- An OCR rule - if another offensive player enters the crease and blocks the ball carrier from the goalie that goal will not stand. ( or could keep it simpler 1 O player in the crease when scoring )
I like it in either form.

Buff the goalies checking.
Buff is an under statement ;)

dont really want to see forwards trying to deke goalie and dunk it for clean goals
Yeah not like we ever see that happen in hockey, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, football, or any sport ever.
/s
The operating word there is deke.  If it takes skill to do it, and skill to stop it, and it's balanced reasonably, then what's wrong with it?  It should be impressive to manage to fly in there between rapid fire bullets.

but it would be good if offense could go slightly further in than defense. like make line count as dc but not as cr.
That's a great take on the double cr idea.  I love it.

wiggly crease with a lot of corners makes it harder to cr sit all the way backed up. pretty common move to get into that fett spot and slide up or down.
That is A Good Thing, right?

I recognize there is aversion to the thought of dunking it, but if it is very hard (more skill than luck) to get through the goalie, then seriously, what's wrong with it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 02:22:22 PM by Goldeye »

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 03:19:06 PM »

Allowing dunks?  whats wrong with it? maybe nothing, for me it just seems too much of an ideology shift from how you score in HZ in one change!

Also from a reffing point of view a simple change that minimizes confusion is easiest to deal with in RSHL - took many seasons for refs to still be calling some DP wrong... No doubt players will be confused and start soft rioting at our already limited ref force when they dont understand what is or isnt a legal goal anymore.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »

Seems positive to take calling CR out of the picture.  A lot of legit goals are lost for toeing the line (a reminder this change would beckon some buff for the goalies)

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »

Ok, then a simple change could be the offensive player must have SOME PART of the ship outside of the crease for it to NOT be CR.
the defensive ship must have ALL of the ship outside of the crease for it not to be a defensive crease ( AS IT IS NOW )

This would allow nyon a full ship length closer for the O and all those JUST CR calls will become Clean.

EDIT:
COUPLE THAT WITH a much wigglier crease or a circular crease to avoid fett spotting and up/down line D moves....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:53:21 PM by Fur of Fur »

Stryke

• RSHL Referee
  • Common Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 07:51:43 AM »

> On the downside, it might also make it harder to sweep shots.

So, what is the warbird supposed to be good at again?

Dr. Janky

• Registered Posting Whore
    • xyst Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

like make line count as dc but not as cr.

goldeye, i couldve sworn it was to you that i suggested this idea when we were talking about improving 2v2 and you said the module doesnt have the capability.  maybe you meant not without affecting pub.  oh well.

Doobie

• Local Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

While I think there is likely improvement to be had by reshaping/resizing the crease I find it hard to wrap my head around the consequences of the specific changes. 

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »

im sure with the right settings it could be skillful. but i just dont think i would like it. in the real life sports situations you mentioned, the goalie/defender normally uses a lot of physical force just trying to maintain his position. he does not effortlessly knock down multiple forwards who are sprinting at him full speed.

and ya the fact that cr sitting is harder on wiggly cr is definitely a good thing.

Doobie

• Local Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »

Repels!

Daresay

• And wtf, so your saying if your in school, and a senior talks shit, your just supposed to take it like your a pussy? I doubt thats going to happen you fucking retard.
  • u just can't do that
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »

If a defensive player is in the crease, an offensive player may carry the puck into the crease and score.
And wtf, so your saying if your in school, and a senior talks shit, your just supposed to take it like your a pussy? I doubt thats going to happen you fucking retard.

Rinnegan

• : D
  • HZ Media
  • : D
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:51 AM »

I think if we were to put in this crease the net should be made a tiny bit smaller no?>
bobbarker such an asshole, here we are trying to console linix over the death of his real pet, and you bring up mother fucking cats of all things

who cares if your cats die they're cats, i didnt cry when my pet fish

jalrix

• Making a Name
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 05:02:08 PM »

If a defensive player is in the crease, an offensive player may carry the puck into the crease and score.
I second this
http://rshl.org/zilla/lgroster.htm

Can you guess how many teams I am on?

Hazecloud

• #FreeZepp
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 12:31:27 AM »

lets go ahead and give offensive players in the attacking zone thors, autopickup, autogoal, and instant mercy while we are at it!

Daresay

• And wtf, so your saying if your in school, and a senior talks shit, your just supposed to take it like your a pussy? I doubt thats going to happen you fucking retard.
  • u just can't do that
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 10:38:19 PM »

lets go ahead and give offensive players in the attacking zone thors, autopickup, autogoal, and instant mercy while we are at it!

I second this
And wtf, so your saying if your in school, and a senior talks shit, your just supposed to take it like your a pussy? I doubt thats going to happen you fucking retard.

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 19 queries.