Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Okay, I've got some beef here...no, not the ground up kind.  (Read 22582 times)

NeverendingHamster

• Hammy
  • Making a Name
Okay, I've got some beef here...no, not the ground up kind.
« on: February 16, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »

So, my understanding is that the hockey bot in TW is to be turned off from 7pm-8pm EST, per HZ staff (whoever that is). I can only assume the the over-arching goal is to encourage people to take a break from TW and play some hockey in Hockey Zone.

Tonight, there were a fair amount of people in the TW hockey arena. I was goal tending and really enjoying this game, as were a handful of others. It was a little past 7 pm and the game was suddenly ordered to be shutdown about 3/4 of the way through it.

What did this accomplish? Well, it pissed a lot of people off.

Did anyone ?go HZ to actually play it? Nope, I think me and one other were the only ones who went, neither of us played HZ.

Did it ruin the fun people were having? You bet it did. I was so turned off and disgusted by this "solution to save the zone" that I had no desire to play HZ. I don't even know if I want to play league in a zone where it has to resort to actions like this that do not benefit anyone.

Just my two cents. I thoroughly enjoy playing goalie and would love to contribute to whatever team this season, but I just don't support this kind of stuff. I think there are definitely better approaches to saving the zone, but forcing people to play this zone, in my opinion, is going to act more like a deterrent.

Sincerely,

A Disgruntled Hamster
#1Fear of Hamsters: Soggy Sawdust

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
Re: Okay, I've got some beef here...no, not the ground up kind.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 08:21:42 PM »

Good feedback. Not being sarcastic, honestly, this is the type of feedback that will help. It is not good for HZ when there are 30 people in TW hockey (and only 12 can play, unlike in HZ). At the same time, I'm sure (HZ) zone staff doesn't want disgruntled players to just leave TW and not play either zone. But there has to be some sort of compromise. I know there have been several instances where the hockey bot was shut down and people did indeed go to HZ and continue a game there, which spawned scrim and the zone to be alive with 20+ people for several hours.

Pheef

• Common Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:27 PM »

I was in TW at the time alt tabbed in my mod name and was approached by a few TW players who said they'd never play in HZ again because of a stunt like this. Just passing along the message.

Cereal n Milk

• HZ Media
  • Common Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »

I think the assumption that most people are making is that these people have some intense desire to play hockey, so if there's no hockey in TW they'll go to HZ. To most of them hockey is just an event, the one that is hosted most often and the one that they play the most. Shutting down the bot is only going to antagonize HZ to them. Rather, it's the job of HZers to convince the people in TW to come try out HZ. Especially those of us who've logged significant time there and know some players well.

Second, we need to create a less toxic environment. It's been better recently, but there's a lot of trolling and anger coming from hzers and it pushes away possible players from us. This isn't an argument about which zone is more toxic, just that we are. It's a little hard to want to play there when you have veteran players saying things like "i wish we had new players that were quality, not these TWers" (that quote is from memory.)

TL;DR It's up to us to convince TWers to play HZ and we need to be accepting to them, not toxic as some have been

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 12:18:16 AM »

Don't understand why we have to deal with this problem every single offseason. When there are scheduled games people naturally check or log in for scrim. If there was scrim, less hockey zone players would feel the need to play and/or try to start bastard hockey (sorry, it is) instead of HZ. Every offseason feels like it unnecessarily drags on too long and the zone population plummets until it's over. When league makes the zone look mildly active again people will go back to not giving two shits about trench wars hockey and they can have their 24/7 arena back.

Start preseason please.
have you won your blackie yet?
Lanc Energy:

Shark Energy:

Nerf the prox, Buff accel or make afterburner high risk/high reward, give lanc a slapshot or increase it's shotpwer, fix nrg.

BananaSquadron

• Geriatric Puck
  • Registered Posting Whore
  • [M]ost [V]aluable [B]anana
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »

Why on earth would you enforce something like this? That is stooping to the level of free to play and/or pay to win games that are so prevalent these days.

Our zone becomes more active when league starts so let those TW people have their fun over there and hope they trickle into our neck of the woods. This isolation act each zone is playing at is despicable at this juncture when our entire community is so incredibly fragile.
s10 CR s11 SL s12 MC s13 DT(MVP) s14 DT s15 DT s16 DB Blackie Champs(Finals MVP) s17 DB(MVP,COTY) s18 DB s19 CR s20 DB Blackie Champs s21 DB s22 EMP s23 DB Blackie Champs(Finals MVP) s24 CWS s25 HAT
G: 278 A: 418

Zeppelin

• Armed and Dangerous
  • Gary says: but then i guess they flirt with me
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 12:36:41 AM »

I think the assumption that most people are making is that these people have some intense desire to play hockey, so if there's no hockey in TW they'll go to HZ. To most of them hockey is just an event, the one that is hosted most often and the one that they play the most. Shutting down the bot is only going to antagonize HZ to them. Rather, it's the job of HZers to convince the people in TW to come try out HZ. Especially those of us who've logged significant time there and know some players well.

this (would convince but all tw'ers hate me)

Why on earth would you enforce something like this? That is stooping to the level of free to play and/or pay to win games that are so prevalent these days.

Our zone becomes more active when league starts so let those TW people have their fun over there and hope they trickle into our neck of the woods. This isolation act each zone is playing at is deRACIAL EXPLETIVEable at this juncture when our entire community is so incredibly fragile.

and this
Nothing, or nothing you can see...

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:21 AM »

the goldeye doctrine

Artos

• theres no cure for being a cunt
  • Zep gets 3 pers
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:50:54 AM »

how about NOT FUCKING SHUTTING DOWN THE BOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME?

whoever thought that was a good idea is pretty dumb
i've been angrily fucking my ex for over 2 years now
I could probably play every position in TWHT at an above-average level.

Joe~Sakic

• RSFL Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 06:01:31 AM »

Yeah, I think we can all mutually agree that this is pretty fucking stupid.

Demonic

• Making a Name
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:38 AM »

how about NOT FUCKING SHUTTING DOWN THE BOT IN THE MIDDLE OF A GAME?

whoever thought that was a good idea is pretty dumb

Actually it was silly to even start a game if there was potential for it to happen, I don't think any fault on this can be put on the feet of HZ to be honest.  If a game does overrun common sense would be finish the game and then shut down the bot for the required hour - but I will need to find out which mod hosted it.  I am guessing Afri but would need to check.

warrior11

• HZ Media
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 09:06:37 AM »

hamstir apply 2 cr as keepir

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 11:36:39 AM »

I was in TW at the time alt tabbed in my mod name and was approached by a few TW players who said they'd never play in HZ again because of a stunt like this. Just passing along the message.

Maybe you should let them know it was TW's idea.  How ironic that it'd backfire.  I find it hard to take these comments too seriously though;

Our zone becomes more active when league starts so let those TW people have their fun over there and hope they trickle into our neck of the woods. This isolation act each zone is playing at is deRACIAL EXPLETIVEable at this juncture when our entire community is so incredibly fragile.
Maybe you haven't noticed, but our people have been trickling over there, and then when HZers who don't enjoy TW come online, they (WE)'re the ones getting screwed over. 

I don't think we're under that illusion, but we are observing general and long term failure to convince them to come to HZ more often.  IIRC, the biggest problem was that they could not compete and did not like being the worst player(s) around.

Second, we need to create a less toxic environment. It's been better recently, but there's a lot of trolling and anger coming from hzers and it pushes away possible players from us. This isn't an argument about which zone is more toxic, just that we are. It's a little hard to want to play there when you have veteran players saying things like "i wish we had new players that were quality, not these TWers" (that quote is from memory.)
You're not wrong , but I am not convinced that has been a significant issue in quite a while. 
Although it'd be nice if we had new players that were quality instead of these artos memos and etc ;)  /s
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Pheef

• Common Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »

Actually it was silly to even start a game if there was potential for it to happen, I don't think any fault on this can be put on the feet of HZ to be honest.  If a game does overrun common sense would be finish the game and then shut down the bot for the required hour - but I will need to find out which mod hosted it.  I am guessing Afri but would need to check.

Afri hosted and some higher up in TW told him to shut down the bot mid-game when it was like 20 past the hour. However it's my understanding that the game took forever, which I wouldn't be surprised. Played an hour long game yesterday when we had 2 semi competent goalies in. Game only ended because I got bored and started trying to snipe shots as our goalie because of the ridiculous shot power you can get at full thrust in it.

koroshi

• The Last Terrier
  • HZ Media
  • ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ) oh hello
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »

Poor TWers not able to play their shitty version of hockey for 1 hour. ͼ(ݓ_ݓ)ͽ

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 11:38:15 PM »

i tried to play space hockey tonight, but i failed

The Cubbies

• Sephiroth clone
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »

Please don't do this.  There will be backlash.

There's even a hamster uprising now.  This is what happens when you listen to out-of-touchers like Boogerman and Goldeye instead of superawesome Cubses.
"Does you sister ride the bus?" -Artos

DK

• SO IT GOES...
  • bff
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »

hz dead play haxball

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »

For the record I was surprised and concerned about Demonic putting a timer into effect, but figured "if it's coming from TW why not?"  I didn't consider the answer: no one will realize it's coming from TW
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 06:37:14 PM »

demonic did this as a goodwill gesture to hz

when people were unhappy about how it played out, he came to this thread to accept blame

good guy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 18 queries.