Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Group Moderation: To edit access to a group you control, go to the Membergroups interface from the Moderate button. If you don't have that option, contact Kilo Dylie with the names of the moderators who should be on your group.

Author Topic: looking for some new server help  (Read 2130 times)

Left-handed Hammer

• Making a Name
looking for some new server help
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:34:42 PM »

have access to two server sites.  going to build a test server and put it online.  will need random people to do tracert's to them.  this will determine any feasibility for use.  if interested in helping please reply here.

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Re: looking for some new server help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 01:43:48 AM »

FYI, I'm inclined to believe the problem here is internal to the server, since it only really gets bad during high activity.
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Left-handed Hammer

• Making a Name
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »

thanks, any idea on the server specs?  or past hz servers' specs?  would help.  free bandwidth 10-50mb is far as i got

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »

See: https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/machine-types
Server type n1-standard-2

Bandwidth I can't find specs for, but graphs in this article suggest it's.... more than satisfactory ;)
https://gigaom.com/2013/03/15/by-the-numbers-how-google-compute-engine-stacks-up-to-amazon-ec2/

My operating theory is that we simply have too much code running in high frequency callbacks, and it adds up to substantial latency issues.  Testing I did a while back showed that a ton of time is spent in those callbacks, but didn't prove whether that causes problems.
Without further testing (which is not too easy to do) the only idea I have is to optimize that code, but that's dependent on finding time to do so and test it.
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »

have a controller class that runs the high frequency callbacks limited to X times per second.... if they are just looping as fast as possible, kinda madness.

I think doom 3 overruling class, had a timer that slept and executed the main loop 60 times a second...

question here is whats being called / checked that increments specifically with population?
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:37:49 PM »

question here is whats being called / checked that increments specifically with population?
Position packets scale (or worse) with population in frequency and duration, ball fire/catch packets scale (or worse) in duration.

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »

Interesting... Can I get a look at that code / this problem sometime.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 02:45:46 PM »

Sometime :X
Position obviously scales in frequency with the number of players, and is probably 10-20hz.  Any processing in there (especially that again scales with players, like forwarding the packet to everyone else) is suspect.

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 05:06:28 PM »

May be some loops that can be handled differently.... Or some specific logic applicable to hz. Anyway fun stuff!

Goldeye

• System Cooperator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »

Yup as I get time I'm going to dig into those and do whatever code optimizations I can.
There might be a systematic solution to be had, like queuing packets of different types separately.  But that's more effort and more risk

Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

depending on how this all works, their may be some way to prioritize calculations on players CLOSE to the ball... goalie and CR sitter on other side of the ice, don't need so many updates...

are we encountering problems in public here? cross arena positions also would not be so important obviously... ) if scrim and pub was running at the same time )

shooting completely into the dark with suggestions without more information on the actual problem and current architecture of the system obviously.

Left-handed Hammer

• Making a Name
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:48 PM »

ok so previous server was virtualization/not a dedicated server?  the beautiful thing about udp is the packets will never call you back

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.