Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Group Moderation: To edit access to a group you control, go to the Membergroups interface from the Moderate button. If you don't have that option, contact Kilo Dylie with the names of the moderators who should be on your group.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14

Author Topic: Hockey Zone Improvements - Checklist  (Read 7909 times)

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Hockey Zone Improvements - Checklist
« on: December 28, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »

Goldeye seems to have organizational issues, so I figured we should make a checklist about issues that need to be fixed and some updates / changes we can make to the game / website / zone.

Completed

-Awards Page fix -(Goldeye)
-Renew interest in RSHL by sending out Emails / Facebook Ads - (Goldeye, Stryke)
-Record highlights after game, upload to Youtube - (Idea: Leafy, Implementation: Navee)

In Progress

-Settings Test Arena for 5v5 and other game-play (?go small) (Doobie)
-Submitted by BOS: Update the Arena Map: "It still says season 22 and all the awards and cup winners aren't updated.  The ref award which was added in season 16 or something is missing from the map too." (Revolution)
-Submitted by Lawn Dwarf: Teams Arenas / Music - Contact Superdan Via Private Message if you want your arena uploaded. Not sure if we are using anything for RSHL, that's up to the LC. (Superdan)

High Priority

-Recruit / Assign / Train a person / team of Developers - Incomplete
-Submitted by Goldeye "fix directory listing" - "I think we don't show up in the Continuum download unless you know how to add it, fixing the name is part of that."  Incomplete

Medium Priority

-Automated Broadcast of Games to Twitch / Someone to broadcast games (Some were missed last year, most notably the playoffs)- Incomplete - Broadcasting: African Panda Commentary: Thrill (Color), Buck Cat, Trick- (Color or Play by Play)
-Make the BOD Read-only / Assign a person to give monthly updates on whats being discussed / get an idea of the Zones opinions - Incomplete
-Submitted by BOS: Twitter bot and/or steam bot: "Informs people of how many players are active in the zone so people can know when the zone is alive or how close to being alive for games" Incomplete

Low Priority:

-Player Stats Page updated past Season 22 - Incomplete
-Advanced stats: Time in D-Zone, O-Zone, Neutral Zone etc...  Incomplete
-Hall of Fame: Where is it? Where are the write ups? Are the saved still? Add it back to the website? Create a new one? Incomplete
-Franchise History? See: http://web.archive.org/web/20070809194102/http://rshl.org/ci/index.php?c=franchiseview Incomplete

Post your ideas here and I'll add them to the checklist if they arent retarded or submitted by the following people : Boogieman, Violence.

If you want to volunteer your help and you already dont have a platform to do so, post which task you want.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:47:26 PM by Leafy »

-

-

-

Lawn Dwarf

• RSHL Captain
  • Registered Posting Whore
Re: Hockey Zone Improvements - Checklist
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 08:35:15 PM »

i would like to see team arenas/music back

nothing like the old SPC arena, shit was awesome

dragonwing0

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 08:57:31 PM »

Perhaps since Goldeye has a limited amount of time, you should prioritize your list as well.
For instance, to me
High:
Settings - Could this be handed off? I remember LD having an arena for his old settings. Maybe fett too?
Developers - This one is just always going to be difficult.

Medium:
Player Stats - Was Nax helping with the webpage? I remember someone redesigning it at some point. Maybe they could help?
Broadcast/Stream person - Who used to do it? Antsy? Thrill?
Monthly BOD Update (probably could be handed off)

Low:
Team Arenas / Music - Could someone else help on this front like SD, Doobie, BG? etc

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »

I wouldn't mind doing some broadcasting here and there but someone else would have to do the streaming part of it
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

Blessings_of_Sins

• RSHL Referee
  • Common Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 09:15:59 PM »

High:

1) update the arena map:
It still says season 22 and all the awards and cup winners aren't updated.  The ref award which was added in season 16 or something is missing from the map too.

2) improve lag:
I don't know if this is even possible but it would be awesome :D

Settings test idea:

1) Remove pick up delay for goalies:
hopefully this can remove some of the 50/50 prox cut goals and frustation while increasing consistency of the game.

Weeze's idea which I think would be high priority:

1) Twitter bot and/or steam bot:
informs people of how many players are active in the zone so people can know when the zone is alive or how close to being alive for games

RSFL Season 1 : X-Factor
MSHL Season 4 : Baby Seal Killers
2008 Mini Tournament : Barker's Beauties
TWHT Season 2: R&P
RSFL Season 5 : BIG
RSHL Season 24: Salty Puckers

dragonwing0

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

I like that last one BoS

Blessings_of_Sins

• RSHL Referee
  • Common Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 09:25:28 PM »

I like that last one BoS

Yea, it's Weeze's idea and I thought it was great so I posted it here.  I hope Weeze doesn't mind, all credits to him! :D

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 09:25:40 PM »

Perhaps since Goldeye has a limited amount of time, you should prioritize your list as well.

I thought about doing this but let's be serious if I delegate a task to someone Goldeye isnt going to approve.

I'm more looking for people to volunteer for certain things and then Goldeye knows they are interested.

Prioritization is a good idea though.

-

-

-

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 09:33:54 PM »

I wouldn't mind doing some broadcasting here and there but someone else would have to do the streaming part of it

Commentary is an added bonus for sure. But lets at least Archive our games on Twitch. I know Antsy has done a lot of it in the past. Maybe we can setup a schedule of some sort  for Refs / Stream person.

-

-

-

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 09:40:07 PM »

1) update the arena map:
It still says season 22 and all the awards and cup winners aren't updated.  The ref award which was added in season 16 or something is missing from the map too.

Added

2) improve lag:
I don't know if this is even possible but it would be awesome :D

Goldeye has been adamant that the server were on is the one we are staying on.

1) Remove pick up delay for goalies:
hopefully this can remove some of the 50/50 prox cut goals and frustation while increasing consistency of the game.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Can you elaborate? Maybe demonstrate? Vid? Either way, I'll add a suggested settings section to the post.

1) Twitter bot and/or steam bot:
informs people of how many players are active in the zone so people can know when the zone is alive or how close to being alive for games

Added. I know nothing about programming but considering we have a counter on the home page I'd say it should be incredibly easy to translate this into a twitter bot.

-

-

-

Weeze

• Blades
  • Common Poster
  • You'd prefer an astronaut
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 10:05:30 PM »

Yea, it's Weeze's idea and I thought it was great so I posted it here.  I hope Weeze doesn't mind, all credits to him! :D

❤️❤️

Blessings_of_Sins

• RSHL Referee
  • Common Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Can you elaborate? Maybe demonstrate? Vid? Either way, I'll add a suggested settings section to the post.

I'm going to need someone more familiar with HZ settings to help with this as my understanding is incomplete.  But, from what I understand, there is a delay in when a ball can be picked up immediately after it is fired from a ship.  During this delay, no one can pick up the ball even if it is in the proc of a player.  The exact mechanics behind this delay I do not understand.

E.g. if Player A shoots the puck, no one can proc the puck for X seconds (0.5 second or whatever the current delay is...again I need someone more knowledgeable than me to fill in the X here). 

Normally this isn't a big deal and helps with the flow of the game.  It makes it so that certain passes are possible and reduce the effectiveness of clusterfucks and potential lag. 

Now, where it gets strange is when goalies are involved.  I can think of two scenarios where this becomes problematic/strange.

1) If a weasel or any other high shot power ship where to shoot the puck, the puck will travel a large distance during that X second of delay and go through the goalie's prox (e.g. the corners of the prox) and essentially phase/prox cut the goalie.  Now, I do not know if this is intended to be part of the game play (to represent a hard shot that's uncatchable for the goalie) or an unintended side effect of the pick up delay.  I've had this happen to me several times with weasel shots, javelin shots and levi shots where I thought I would see the puck literally go through my prox square (yes, I use prox square and I made them myself by customizing the ship 8 graphics file and testing it in half court to make sure it's more or less accurate.  I think my prox squares are a bit small as I decided to be conservative).

2) When a player shoots the puck while inside the goalie's prox square.  This happens more frequently again with jav, weasels and wbs.  When these ships are in the goalie's prox and shoots the ball, the ball travels far enough to exit the goalie's proc during the X second of pick up delay and scores.  For me, I have had this happen most often during warbird breakaways where they would try to go around me and shoot it in while still in my prox.  Again, I am not sure if this is an intended interaction to increase scoring, or an unintended side effect of the pick up delay.

Overall, I do think pickup delay is good for the game and normalizes the effect of lag.  I just find that as a goalie, I let in certain goals (as mentioned in the above 2 scenario) which are frustrating, and it looks awkward for all spectators.  It makes the game look inconsistent and honestly random/laggy.

I do not know if it is even possible to just change the pickup delay for goalies only as the setting may be a global one that affects all ships.

I hope this helps clarify what I mean by this.  I also hope someone with more knowledge with settings (e.g. Goldeye?  Doobie?  Fur?) can add in more detail/information and correct any parts that I am wrong about (again, I only have limited knowledge and I could be completely misguided about this point, so I sincerely apologize if I am wrong due to ignorance). 

idkidc1233

• Empire's #1 mascot/ROTY Season 52
  • Zep gets 3 pers
  • Common Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »

High Priority

-Settings Test Arena for 5v5 and other game-play (Use Scrim?) - Incomplete

Personally, don't think this should be so high in priority.

Medium Priority

-Automated Broadcast of Games to Twitch / Someone to broadcast games (Some were missed last year, most notably the playoffs)- Incomplete - Commentary: Thrill

This is a good idea. But we need some sort of motivation in my opinion. Maybe put together a donation pool for them to do $5 per game or something? I just feel like part of the reason (besides life) is because they're uninterested... I mean have you ever tuned in? Unless its a Troydan raid, there's only ever like 5 viewers at most and probably are only HZers. Also we need to round up some people that would do this in the first place. Thrill is good, but no sign of Antsy yet and TRR/stickman don't play anymore. Maybe AP can help with the color commentary?

-Recruit / Assign / Train a person / team of Developers - Incomplete

I don't think a team of developers will ever happen. More than likely will just stay as a group of freelance programmers helping out with quality of life things (unless they're pooling behind the scenes of getting this organized)

-Make the BOD Read-only / Assign a person to give monthly updates on whats being discussed / get an idea of the Zones opinions - Incomplete

BOD read-only = Nope. Idea of zone's opinions = Depends if Goldeye manages this or if the other Staff leaders/group does. I think the 2nd one is good though, like CnM or RKDN doing it once per month. Or maybe every two weeks. If nothing is news worthy, just post in a thread "nothing new to report, but we are continuing the work of yada yada yada..."

-Submitted by BOS: Update the Arena Map: "It still says season 22 and all the awards and cup winners aren't updated.  The ref award which was added in season 16 or something is missing from the map too." Incomplete

I'm all for this. Kor can you handle the center ice graphic?

-Submitted by BOS: Twitter bot and/or steam bot: "Informs people of how many players are active in the zone so people can know when the zone is alive or how close to being alive for games" Incomplete

Meh. I don't know about this. I mean the hz tradition is just to start subspace and afk or close depending if there is no game, depending on what you want to do. We do have that ticker on the rshl.org main page on the right, but no1 ever queues/uses it lol.

Low Priority:

-Player Stats Page updated past Season 22 - Incomplete

Stats are ok, don't think its necessary. Good that it's low priority. UNLESS YOU ARE SOME LITTLE KAPPA THAT LIKES TO PUT STATS IN THEIR SIGS

-Submitted by Lawn Dwarf: Teams Arenas / Music - Incomplete

Hell yes. At least bring back team arenas. Those things were fucking sick. I didn't much mind for going to rshl. Besides, if we have team arenas, theoretically we can have more than one game in 1 time slot, as long as we got the refs.

Good checklist, hope it doesn't take forever to implement... or you know.... just be more philosophical talk that will never happen.

Abvolt

• no morals
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »

I have a team arena that needs uploading since 2k13
deceased mazer nation war general

Sting

• RSFL Board of Directors
  • Common Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »

Problem with twitter/steam bot... what would trigger it sending out a message? If automated how often? Wouldn't want it spamming with each addition or subtraction else some people would be prepared to break it's virtual fingers

dragonwing0

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:24:13 PM »

it could just auto reply with the pop when someone tweets at it

Batman

• Making a Name
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 12:30:22 AM »

Good job whoever updated the team banners/icons on the website 8)

Weeze

• Blades
  • Common Poster
  • You'd prefer an astronaut
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »

Problem with twitter/steam bot... what would trigger it sending out a message? If automated how often? Wouldn't want it spamming with each addition or subtraction else some people would be prepared to break it's virtual fingers

Only once the population reaches a certain number - 12 maybe. That way you can just get one notification and hopefully a few people log in to complete a full game.

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »

Ppl seem okay with getting spammed about bowel movements and other irrelevant information on twitter all the time I dont see how spam would be a problem

In terms of broadcasting it might be true that there are never a ton of people listening to the live broadcast, but a fair amount of people do watch the broadcast on twitch at a later time.
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

koroshi

• The Last Terrier
  • HZ Media
  • ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ) oh hello
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »

YUNG MONEY had the right banner up yesterday and now it's back to the old one.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:41:24 PM by SuperDan »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 17 queries.