Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Team Forums: If you need a RSHL, MSHL, or RSFL team forum, forum PM Kilo Dylie with the name of your team, and who will moderate the board.

Poll

that we need to talk about some options here. I would like you to vote based on two criteria. What you think is the BEST IDEA DUE TO POPULATION and what you're MOST INTERESTED in. These may not be the same, so please reconcile best you can. RSFL was 7v7.

7v7 - Captains submit a small roster and we build teams much like the league days of RSHL/RSFL
7v7 - Draft. A few experienced folks help find the best candidates who want to captain. They draft based following player signups. Waiver system used for post-draft signups.
6v6 - Captains, same as option 1
6v6 - Draft, same as option 2
Other: please post suggestion below in as much detail as you can muster.

Author Topic: So you say you want a football tournament, well ya know...  (Read 622 times)

stevewhitmer

• Local Moderator
  • Registered Posting Bot
So you say you want a football tournament, well ya know...
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »

Ultimately, number of games depends on how many teams. We'll have to find the right times and work around the RSHL schedule, as that season is just starting. We've done it in the past, and with more teams. Thanks for showing interest, pals. Warms my heart that after all this time you still like to play.

My two cents: if we don't have huge numbers, I like the idea of trying 6v6. I think it can open up some interesting formation combinations. Ideally each team will have 10+ on the roster, and the module is coded to allow 7 on a team, and I don't know how easy of a change it would be to change it to 6, so we would probably leave it alone and work on the honor system (with a penalty for having an extra person). If we all hated it we could move back during the middle of the tournament with a unanimous captains vote.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:50:12 AM by stevewhitmer »

Cereal n Milk

• HZ Media
  • Common Poster
Re: So you say you want a football tournament, well ya know...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »

I'll repost this here
ALRIGHT BOYS

Some free time today, threw something together for an ongoing self-run league. I'm basing this mostly off of some tennis leagues I participate(d) in.

First off, I don't know if you guys would like a draft or self organized teams. A draft may be better for interest, especially for players like myself who never really played football much and players from other zones who are entirely uninitiated. I am happy to organize a draft if you would like.

The league uses a format where teams must play at least one game every week. If they do not, they drop one place in the standings. If they do not play for two weeks, they drop to the bottom of the standings. Captains organize games themselves and a document is kept with every team's availabilities for easy scheduling, games can be played on the fly as well. Games are organized by captains issuing challenges to one another. Captains may only issue challenges to teams that are lower seeds than they are or to the team directly above them in the standings. In a 5 team league for example, the captain ranked #3 may only issue challenges to #2, #4, and #5. You can only challenge a particular team once a week, but challenges may not be ignored and must be played within a reasonable time frame or it will be counted as a loss.

When a team wins a game against a team with a higher rank, they move up the standings by 1. When a team loses to a team with a lower rank, they drop one position. When a low seed loses to a high seed, there is no effect for either team. To be sure there are no misconceptions, another example! Team #1 issues a challenge to team #5. The game is played and team #5 wins. They advance to #4 and team #1 falls to #2.

Ideally, a subforum could be created where game results must be posted. The captain of the winning team is responsible for posting the game result (just by posting the final stats and score with a time and date) and the losing captain must confirm the results. A document will be kept and updated daily (I can do this or we can leave it to the captains.)  An end date is decided upon at the beginning of the league. We always played 1 month and 2 month leagues and I was happy with those lengths. The team at the top of the standings at the end date is the winner. We usually had a #1 vs. #2 game around our end date and as a sort-of championship, but that's more just a detail.

Idk if you guys want refs or will just use the honor system, but I have no idea who knows how to ref for football. I do not but I would be happy to have someone train me on it.

How many players per roster, how large games will be(4v4, 5v5, 6v6...), captains, and teams can all be decided by you guys. Feel free to tweak anything about it or completely reject it for something more traditional. I'm happy to help out with whatever you guys decide on, as LC or just with whatever I can do. I figured this gives us a system for organizing football games consistently and leaves open time for other tournaments or events if you guys would like to organize those. It's a relatively low maintenance league as well that could be run by most active players.

I also have access to the website now, so I should be able to put up anything we need there for rsfl (I haven't done it before though so bear with me on that one.)

Abvolt

• My post count proves I'm better than you
  • no morals
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »

I think draft is just the best option for getting things underway and actually getting it started. Could be 6v6 or 7v7 depending on how many people sign up for draft but i voted for 6v6 because this isnt hayday football anymore and u r getting in the realm of no shows with 7v7. Could always decide later when numbers of people willing 2 play are more formally understood through a signup system.

fb is weird cause the ppl dedicated 2 fb are traditional captains and could get people 2 come together more quickly than hz i think though so viable option 4 traditional capts. i trust fb elite.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:33:51 PM by Abvolt »
deceased mazer nation war general

Zayb

• Royal Road Runners
  • Making a Name
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »

My worry about 6v6 is what position gets dropped. Most likely candidate is a blocker, but will that still allow for good gameplay? Is there still a role for a shark in 6v6? Just some of my thoughts.

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:30:52 PM »

I don't want to play if we're altering the actual gameplay of football. It needs to be 7v7, if we can't generate the interest then we're better off not doing it.

Also I think a draft is the best option, especially considering if we do generate the interest i'm anticipating a lot of the players are going to be pretty inexperienced and new to football, it just lines up well with a draft format instead of having captains message people and acquire teams. Just have people sign up, makes things simple, gets newer players involved that people might not think to ask to join their football teams.
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

Abvolt

• My post count proves I'm better than you
  • no morals
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »

i figured w/ 6v6 all u have 2 do is drop a blocker (i mean there werent a lot of these originally anyways), and jav blocking becomes more important. Its not a biggie.
deceased mazer nation war general

Kula

• HZ Media
  • Registered Posting Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »

Tbh I don't see how 6v6 would change the game, especially because you likely would be dropping the most boring positions in the game, OL and DL. Or not, maybe some teams go blocker heavy and you lose a WR??

Cereal n Milk

• HZ Media
  • Common Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »

Kind of like RSHL, I believe the 7v7 or 6v6 should be left until close to the draft time to assess interest. Ideally we'd return to 7v7, but 6v6 will occur if the player base is not there. The more important debate is the league structure. Once that is decided, people can sign up and the 6v6 and 7v7 debate can start in earnest.

NCVinyl

• Registered Posting Whore
  • The Original LAdyboy: MCVinyl
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 03:50:56 PM »

Could do 6v6 with the autohiker. So just top and bottom blockers. This will help protection so they can position to cover the angles. Instead of being forced to be mid and leave one side open for a direct line to the qB.  Or boost Javs blocking ability so they can take out a lb.

Otherwise 7v7.

Just my opinion tho.

zero seven

• RSFL Captain
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • :D
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 07:43:17 PM »

Could do 6v6 with the autohiker.

Imagine a zone where rsfl development was top priority.

Instead of line goalie / 2v0 training we have wb's with preprogrammed routes, javs with programmable pass protection, blockers who defend based on puck position...

maybe we could have developed blitz 3.0 in HZ

?playset daBomb 1.5
it's not as if i am the only person on my team with my brain.

Blessings_of_Sins

• RSHL Referee
  • Common Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »

I suggest we do a hybrid of captain and core team then draft for the newer players/free agents to fill out a team. 

I have three main reasons that I am against a complete draft. 

Reason 1

The reason I suggest this a hybrid draft is because of how important certain positions are, mainly QB.  I think it should be mandatory that every team has a dedicated QB before we even start a draft process.  I also personally think playing OL/terrier is equally as important.  Without a proper OL, nothing on offense will work well (can't really run effectively, no qb protection, etc), and it can turn the game unplayable.  OL is also a position that most people find dull/boring, and it also happens to be the position that you need the most of at a time on offense (3 terriers vs at most 2 in any other position).  I personally think forcing someone to play OL or playing offense without OL is the easiest way for a player to lose interest and quit because a lot of people will find the position boring and simply not fun.

Reason 2

I think one of the reason draft worked so well in RSHL is because of stagnation.  In RSHL, we see the same teams and same core over and over again.  It gets stale as we do this for 6-7+ seasons for most franchises.  The chance of a draft introduces something new and adds excitement to the league.

In RSFL, I think we have the exact opposite.  A lot of people are craving RSFL and we are nostalgic about the league.  Most people aren't bored and tired of the same old yet because we had such a long break between football seasons.  I know I personally am looking forward to RSFL to reunite and play together again with some former teammates and friends (e.g. Sting, Hutt, Zayb and other X-Factor guys).  I think that nostalgia is a driving factor behind the excitement and desire for RSFL.

It just feels like a let down to me if the first RSFL season in years became a draft league, when there is no clear stagnation/need for a shake up like RSHL.

Reason 3

One of the risk of drafts is stability.  In other words, players may not like their team and just quit.  I think this factor gets even more compounded by the nuances of the position and the importance of certain positions like I mentioned in reason 1.  I think if you have a captain that recruit players, the players are less likely to quit and they are more committed and stable.  In hockey, you can plug and fill holes a lot easier than in FB.  This makes so that other than specific positions, like goalie, everyone can fill in everywhere easily.  On the other hand, the game experience changes a lot if you have to plug and fill roles in football.  Not everyone can or will want to have to fill in an undesired role (e.g. people may not want to block, or people may not want to play rb, or etc).  In other words, it is harder to throw together a group of players and hope they can play together as a team in football, whereas in hockey it is a lot easier since the roles in hockey are not as distinct and different.

I also think the number of players needed for a stable core is different in hockey and football.  I think you need a core of probably 5 active (1 qb, 2 oline, 1 wb and 1 rb/2 spider, 2 levi and 1 shark) and committed players for a RSFL team to work, whereas in RSHL I think you only need 3 players.  You also have to factor in that some players may only want to play offense in football and have no interest in playing defense, or vice versa.  We can always try to force people to play, but the game is still about having fun in the end and if people aren't having fun, they quit.

6v6 or 7v7

I am heavily against a 6v6 because I think it changes up the dynamic of the game too much and there could be a lot of potential balance issues.  I think we would need more setting changes and other work before a move to 6v6 is worth considering (just like how we have to do the same with 5v5 hockey).

RSFL Season 1 : X-Factor
MSHL Season 4 : Baby Seal Killers
2008 Mini Tournament : Barker's Beauties
TWHT Season 2: R&P
RSFL Season 5 : BIG
RSHL Season 24: Salty Puckers

Musiq

• Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »

have sign up sheet but no draft. the list will show who's interested. no draft will create more personal teams making the players want to show up to games. inexperienced players will be taken in by captains who want to teach these individuals and vice versa. otherwise, bottom tier players will be ignored.

players who want to play football will most likely be up for anything related to football, so we should focus on attracting newcomers and make transition as comfortable as possible.

with that said, can we decided 7v7 or 6v6 after a rough estimate of how many want to play?

warrior11

• HZ Media
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »

am not readink ne posts xcept psycho t complainink 6v6 is poor which is retardid statemint

6v6 wirks fine, u haf 1 qb 1rb 2 wrs 2 blockirs. or 3 wrs 0 rb w/e u choose

makes the qb haf 2 get the ball out abit quicker n use sum play action/misdiriction, u can still run the ball psycho t just doesnt want 6v6 cuz she wants 3 blockirs 4 her

difinse u cud haf 1 shirk 3 levs 2 spidirmin or 2 shirks 2 levs 2 spidirmin or 1 shirk 2 levithin 3 spidirmin won't change the game that much

u cant haf 7v7 w/ smallir population, if nething 5v5 or 6v6

stevewhitmer

• Local Moderator
  • Registered Posting Bot
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 05:10:02 PM »

Current signup link below. Looks like we'll try to let signup numbers dictate final decisions. Either way let's just get some football going.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dP93ClxeshOr4G6q4RPtFvhKqW-NGZ2oGKAcXRZiJg4/edit?usp=sharing

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.