Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lag reduction experimental thread.  (Read 145 times)

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
Lag reduction experimental thread.
« on: May 10, 2017, 04:04:04 PM »

Let's face it subspace is old....

Try this, tell me if it helps...

Nagle-Algorithm is enabled by default in Windows 7 and its successive versions. Above and beyond its convenience, Nagle-Algorithm may lead to a dissatisfied user. There are activities that may require a much quicker response, for example, online games. To address such a situation, this article entraps a tip to disable Nagle-Algorithm. It is to get a free flow of data protocol through the network, so as to elevate the speed of internet operations. Before moving further, you first need to identify the appropriate NIC Interface.

NIC Interface

A computer may have multiple internet connections. For each connection, Windows Registry creates a separate NIC Interface or NIC-ID. This ID is displayed in the form of cryptic combination of letters and numbers, enclosed in braces. To recognize the appropriate NIC-ID, need to acquire the IP address of your current or active internet connection.

Type ‘CMD’ in the search box and hit Enter to open Command Prompt
On the black screen, type ‘IPCONFIG’ and press Enter to view info on your active connection
Locate and note down your IP address, displayed next to IPv4 Address, under Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection
Exit Command Prompt
How to Check My IP Address

Disabling Nagle-Algorithm

Nagle-Algorithm can be disabled with a simple registry modification. Please be advised to remember the IP address, noted in the above steps. For a subsequent practice, see the following steps.

Type ‘REGEDIT’ in the search box and hit Enter to open Windows Registry Editor
In the left pane, expand through HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to reach the following key
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
This key may contain several NICs, depending upon the number of internet connections you have used. To disable Nagle-Algorithm of the correct internet profile, you need to access the correct NIC-ID. For this purpose, click each interface key and find and match the IP address with the one noted in the previous section, in the right pane of Registry Editor. It is likely to exist within a string Value, named ‘IPAddress’ or ‘DhcpIPAddress’.

How to Disable NAgle Algorithem in Registry

When found, stay in the same key, and in the left panel of registry editor

Right click the empty place, and choose New to create two DWORD Values
Rename these values as ‘TcpAckFrequency’ (sending out packets immediately)
and ‘TCPNoDelay’ (Disabling Nagle-Algorithm)
Double click both the entries to Modify
Put 1 as their Value data to activate them, and click OK to save your changes
Close Registry Editor, and Restart your Computer
Tweak Registry to Speed up Internet

Note

It is to inform that Nagle-Algorithm is an essential Windows tool, and needs to be reactivated for a proficient piece of work. A permanently disabled Nagle-Algorithm may have a visible influence on your regular bandwidth. Once you are done with your work, reverse this setting by changing the data of two newly created values to 0.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
Re: Lag reduction experimental thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 04:38:47 PM »

Windows 10 can try these as well...

InRegedit.exe.

First Regedit Edit will be here:
Regedit Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
Create a new DWORD and name it to “SystemResponsiveness” set its hexadecimal value to 00000000 for pure gaming/streaming.

This will make gaming better when they utilize “Multimedia Class Scheduler” service (MMCSS). this tweaks allow the games to use more CPU priority, This is similar to game mode in Windows 10 Creators Update. This allows for priority for CPU resources and restricts background applications.

Second Regedit Edit will be here:
Regedit Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Tasks\G ames
There's three things to change here.

"GPU Priority" Set it to 8.
"Priority" set to 6.
"Scheduling Category" set to High.

Probably only useful for games like dota...

Win 7 and up again..

Power Options. ( Laptop's )

Go to Control Panel, Go to Power Options.
Change Plan to High Performance. This allows your CPU which ran at 5% to instead run at 100%... Useful for more performance if you tick software emulation!
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:06 PM »

I've tinkered around with most of this stuff before, there are some issues that can be ironed out with frame lag but haven't seen much impact for anything else.

Honestly the best results that I've had was actually instructing the pc to only run continuum on one core because the ancient network architecture doesn't handle multicore/threading very well (or at all really) and it can actually cause issues. I think I have a more in-depth thread on it somewhere around here.
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

The Cubbies

• Sephiroth clone
  • RSHL Referee
  • Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Thrill, would you mind re-linking how to do the 1-core thing?  Frame rate and lag issues come up for me often on one of my compies.  Thanks if you do.
"Does you sister ride the bus?" -Artos

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 04:36:52 PM »

Can't find the thread but essentially the major part is this, pretty simple actually. Run continuum so it will show up on the task manager.

-Open Task Manager
-Right click and select go to details
-right click continuum and select set affinity, unclick all the cores except the one you want to run continuum (or random program)
-Optional, but right above select affinity you can also set the priority of continuum to high so that resources won't go to other programs and potentially worsen performance on continuum. Not 100% sure if this works extremely well to reduce issues, but it's good idea in theory.
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 18 queries.