Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Group Moderation: To edit access to a group you control, go to the Membergroups interface from the Moderate button. If you don't have that option, contact Kilo Dylie with the names of the moderators who should be on your group.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
 on: Today at 06:37:38 AM 
Started by t$z - Last post by BluckaBlucka
Thanks t$z. 

Honest talk that sucks to hear.  HZ is where it is today because of all of us.  People are blaming Goldeye but the same people that lay blame have done very little.  If we want game reports, anyone could have just wrote one in the forums and someone with power would've posted it on the front page.  This happened in the past.  I dropped the ball by stopping the power rankings and just got too lazy to do it once the work built up.  Ditto Navee with the replays.  That's on us. We dropped the ball and no one was there to pick it up.   

People complain about the lack of rules, but other than Judge69's effort to update the rule, I haven't noticed much effort spent to improve the rules.  I tried to get something going for an all-star write-up/game, I got 6 votes in total and I even PMed 21 respected and active players.  So if people were wondering why I made a post several months ago about all-stars and then we ended up doing something seemingly rushed?  It's because of this.  I reached out to ask for help and got nothing back that I could work with.

If we want people to do things for HZ, we need to make HZ into a place that players want to do things for, and that's something that all of us can help with.  This isn't exactly true yet but I think we are getting to the point where you either are helping the zone or hurting it (even if its through inactivity).  Like the famous quote "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  The only thing necessary for the death of HZ is that good people do nothing.  So if we want HZ to stay alive or even become better, then everyone should do something.

You know its funny that the people who defend Goldeye couldn't tell you a thing he does they just tell you its not his fault. Would you want to work/offer your free time to just be a puppet?

Majority of the zone doesn't value anything Goldeye has to contribute in terms of discussion yet he is part of the bod. Goldeye isn't a captain yet he is part of the captain forums. Publicly all I know is this guy shouldn't be doing much of anything in terms of direction of the league yet is apart of every discussion making the final decision even if its CnM or Arcadian or Superdan making the post. Banning Leafy every other week. Guy just yesterday warns leafy to not post more shit in hz talk and instantly bans him when he posts a picture in QoTD.

There is an ignore button for text. We can't get an ignore button for actions and Goldeyes actions are more ban worthy than leafy's. This zone would go on without him but he acts like we need him in power.

on: Today at 05:55:42 AM 
Started by t$z - Last post by Blessings_of_Sins
Thanks t$z. 

Honest talk that sucks to hear.  HZ is where it is today because of all of us.  People are blaming Goldeye but the same people that lay blame have done very little.  If we want game reports, anyone could have just wrote one in the forums and someone with power would've posted it on the front page.  This happened in the past.  I dropped the ball by stopping the power rankings and just got too lazy to do it once the work built up.  Ditto Navee with the replays.  That's on us. We dropped the ball and no one was there to pick it up.   

People complain about the lack of rules, but other than Judge69's effort to update the rule, I haven't noticed much effort spent to improve the rules.  I tried to get something going for an all-star write-up/game, I got 6 votes in total and I even PMed 21 respected and active players.  So if people were wondering why I made a post several months ago about all-stars and then we ended up doing something seemingly rushed?  It's because of this.  I reached out to ask for help and got nothing back that I could work with.

If we want people to do things for HZ, we need to make HZ into a place that players want to do things for, and that's something that all of us can help with.  This isn't exactly true yet but I think we are getting to the point where you either are helping the zone or hurting it (even if its through inactivity).  Like the famous quote "the only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  The only thing necessary for the death of HZ is that good people do nothing.  So if we want HZ to stay alive or even become better, then everyone should do something.

on: Today at 05:29:15 AM 
Started by BlueGoku - Last post by Blessings_of_Sins
I think HZ only has enough talent to field 3-4 championship caliber teams.  You can make more teams competitive by perfectly spreading out talent through the draft but at best you just get a watered down league.  There is only so many high caliber players, and there is almost no way for worse players to catch up because pub/scrim is horrible practice (hello 6+ level 1s in 50% of the games at least with minimal defense played by anyone because it's not "fun").

Having looked through the last few seasons, I don't think anything changed in the big picture.  We have 4 teams that have a chance but 1-2 heavy favourites every year.  Even in Season 23 (the last traditional season) with the powerhouse DB team, they had close games against Mazer in the first round of the playoffs (3-1, 3-2 wins).  It was only against CR where they blew CR out of the water, but a large part of that is CR not having their best forward nine in the playoffs.  CR finished first in the regular season with nine playing a significant part (#1 in goals and points).  For an example, take a look at this season's Haterade after BananaSquadron69 left...they managed 4 shots on net in a playoff game.  BTK could easily go undefeated this playoffs.

Draft has a nice novelty factor where new teams form and people play with new players.  The problem with this is that it seems more often than not, there's a reason certain players never played together in the past.  There are personality mismatches, playstyle clashes, and other intangibles that are hard to evaluate.  E.g. player A when playing with player B performs at a 1st round level, but when they play with player C, they perform at a 4th round level because of playstyle clash.

My biggest problem with draft is the lack of improvement.  YM I think is a great example of a team that build up over the years (a lot of them were ex-Mazer players from 3-4 seasons back).  They were one of the few teams that were able to stick together in the draft last year and this year.  It is interesting to note that the two teams with the most returning members from S24 are the top 2 teams in S25.  Chemistry is a factor in any team game and it's so hard to build chemistry when you don't know who you are playing with next season.

I definitely enjoyed draft but I think the highlight of a draft season is the actual draft.  People get to see where they are rated and be surprised (hopefully pleasantly) by their new team.  After that, it just feels like a season of scrim games.  Most people seem to show up to just play their game and leave...which makes sense because a lot of them are playing with people who are NOT their friends.  Given how long HZ been around, most of us know each other and if people could be friends, most likely they would be friends already.  A lot of the animosity within teams seems to be just personality clashes...people who don't like/respect/etc each other forced together.

The second highlight of a draft would be trades.  Anytime a trade happens, it's exciting.  Even if you get traded to a new team, it's a new challenge and environment.

Looking at the previous 2 highlights I mentioned, it sucks that as a normal player, you're just there for the ride.  You are not part of the drafting process and you are not the one to make trades.  It's the captain who gets to play in these two spots.  Now, before we think being a captain is all that amazing, there are a lot of negatives with the role.  It seems captains this year have to deal with more internal issues and put up with personnel complaints because of their inability to just remove/axe troublemakers (especially since every player is a trade asset, and the only ways to get new players are waiver and trade).  I think there is a reason that most of the captains this year have expressed interest in just being a normal player, and I think there's more to it than just posturing from these established veterans (aka I think they truly didn't enjoy the experience as much).

I also really don't like this idea that we have to do a draft to get parity.  It's basically saying because we can't beat team X, we have to break team X apart.  If you are playing a competitive game (which HZ is), you should have the desire to beat the best, not avoid and run from them.  If players are stacking a team, then find a way to beat them.  Even if a team has 20 all-stars, they can still only field 6 players.  HZ is essentially a sport game and upsets can happen anytime.  We play the game on the ice/space/rink, not on paper, or else we might just hand out an award every season and not even bother playing any games...or just skip to finals and let the two best "on paper" teams play against each other.

A traditional league also offers another aspect that I find particularly attractive.  The history and legacy of teams.  When you look through the history of a classic team like Breakaway, Revolution, Smiley, Blueline, Misconduct or Powerplay, it's very interesting.  Teams have identities and histories.  Each season is like a chapter to a story.  Even more modern teams like Money Inc, Creasers, Dirtybird/Dreamteam, Baby Seal Killers and Interference have a deep and developed history.  EVEN the lesser successful teams like Hmm, Slashers, South Park Cows, Blades and Mazer have a long and interesting story.  RSHL is keeping HZ alive, but it's the teams and players that keep RSHL alive.

The biggest concern with a traditional league are players who won't be recruited to a team.  These players are very likely to just not bother playing since pub/scrim is active for 1-3 hrs at most everyday, and when we have a 10 pm est game and a 11 pm est game, there might be just 1 or 2 pub/scrim all day. 

I think this is where we get to the another paradox.  You can't have full inclusion and let everyone be in the RSHL if we want RSHL to be competitive.  If teams want to win and be competitive, they should play their top 6 players, especially when rosters are watered down because of the draft since talent gets spread out.  So the team that plays their only their best players are more likely to win.  So do you want competitive integrity or parity?  We get parity by forcing teams to play their bench players and forcing lesser players on their team, but is that the direction we want to go in?  I'm personally torn on this because I think full inclusion is what we need to keep people playing and the zone alive, but having full inclusion lowers the level of play in the game and makes the game less fun (although this might just be me being weird and wanting to play against and beat the best...so I have playing weaker teams just not as fun because the level of play in the game is lower and the game is played at a more primitive tier).

Let's stop with this idea that this season is a good example of parity.  This season was essentially 1 high tier team that would've been able to win in a traditional league (BTK).  Another 2 quality teams that would've been contenders (YM and HAT).  And that was pretty much it.   The rest of the team are there mostly for the participation awards.  BTK if they try 100% is better than everyone else by a wide margin.  ASS has a glaring weakness in net.  GRE has needed offense all season.  HAT lost BananaSquadron69 and Dhasek seems to be playing unhappy which will limit his effectiveness.  MZ never found chemistry and couldn't even make it to the playoffs because we could never mesh and play like a team (not a huge surprise given that most of us haven't played together before and didn't have time to build up chemistry).  SAP had attendance issues all season due to real life concerns from what I've heard.  BLS is here for the ride and just to have fun.  To top it off, none of the weaker teams could do anything to improve their teams.  In a traditional league, teams could have gotten players they needed to be competitive.  E.g. ASS could've gotten a goalie and they would now actually be a favourite.  Sure, the non-playoff teams could get worse and be looted, but at least we have several teams that can contend on paper to make the playoffs interesting.  Instead now we have a situation where we are just waiting for the YM vs BTK finals and hope that YM can challenge BTK.

Lastly, the quality of play this season has been the worst I've ever played in.  Other than playing against BTK, most games were like fricken scrim games.  Maybe it's just my team and our lack of strategy and plans, but it felt like most games were just GO AND PLAY.  There were a few games where we actually talked about what we wanted to do to counter what the opponents are doing, the rest of the games were just pretty much glorified scrim games.  From a goalie perspective, other than BSK and BTK where it felt like I was playing against a RSHL offense, the rest of the games felt like playing against scrim offense.  The quality of play was better than scrim because people tried harder, but it still didn't feel like it was a high level game.  Although I think the lackluster offenses this year was masked by an even lower level of goaltending and defense, which again shouldn't be a surprise consider a lot of teams have goalies playing with defenders they haven't played with and the pair having to learn how to work together...which simply didn't happen for a lot of teams. 

Fun fact for this season, BTK is undefeated in games where Superdan plays more than 3:08 in net...16-0-1 with the 1 draw being the first game of the season where CnM stole a point for GR.

on: Today at 04:47:46 AM 
Started by BlueGoku - Last post by Fur of Fur
5 rounds? + One captain = theoretical starting line.... Then traditional, or some kind of salary capped traditional?

on: Today at 03:33:29 AM 
Started by BlueGoku - Last post by Goldeye
Touche.  I just don't starting with traditional then going draft will do anything meaningful unless most of (what would be) the players in the top few rounds choose to be in the draft.  It gets people teams, but those teams are starting on uneven footing.

What if...we did three or four rounds of draft, then everybody else is traditional.  There are a lot of kinks to work out, but I think that gets the best of both worlds.  Reasonable parity, room for meaningful trades, but a lot less room for drama.

on: Today at 02:54:46 AM 
Started by Seaman #1 - Last post by Musiq
he starts shitting tears out of his ass hole
HAHAHAHA i love it even though i have no idea what it means

on: Today at 01:40:35 AM 
Started by Seaman #1 - Last post by Batman
Notice i never bring up thrills personal life i only speak on strictly zone related things. Meanwhile this pathetic, low-life, calcified brained, zombie, dumbass psuedo scholar wants to try to discredit the FACTS that are all in this thread of him being complete and utter garbage for years in this zone. I already know your life is fucking miserable so i dont have to remind u here...but YOU might wanna get yourself some help bro, bcuz its getting pretty pathetic your obsession with trying to diagnose me as being crazy. Dont u eat dead animal corpse for food and flush it down with Goat milk? But im the crazy one lmfao

on: Today at 01:13:23 AM 
Started by Seaman #1 - Last post by Thrill HZ
Look at how fucking steamed this guy is, hilarious. People tell me I take the game too seriously, meanwhile this guy gets so upset when I call him a bad goalie he starts shitting tears out of his ass hole. Just a game buddy, calm down, no one cares that you're bad. All the while he legitimately thinks there is a possibility the government is paying me to troll him on the internet. Holy shit, get yourself checked out man. I've been telling you for the past year you're on the verge of a mental meltdown, get some help before you end up on the streets.

on: Today at 01:09:11 AM 
Started by BlueGoku - Last post by Lawn Dwarf
i'm going to enter the draft no matter what, unless we decide there will be no drafting

on: Today at 01:05:16 AM 
Started by BlueGoku - Last post by Goldeye
why don't we just do traditional and the people who want to play together get to form a team, everybody else who is interested in a draft enter the draft pool.

problem solved.
What's the point in doing a draft of all the lower tier players?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 12 queries.