Subspace Hockey/Football Zone Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
 on: Today at 07:21:29 AM 
Started by SuperDan - Last post by pob
In my opinion, it's the small chance of getting a much weaker bullet than normal that causes the worst wtf moments/garbage goals:
Off-BallWarbirdJavelinSpiderLeviathanTerrierWeaselLancasterShark
L170%0%10%0%10%70%0%0%
L230%7%32%6%32%30%10%13%
L30%8%42%7%42%0%23%24%
L40%85%16%88%16%0%67%63%
On-BallWarbirdJavelinSpiderLeviathanTerrierWeaselLancasterShark
L151%0%10%0%10%49%0%0%
L249%7%11%6%12%51%10%13%
L30%8%22%7%23%0%23%24%
L40%85%58%88%55%0%67%63%
(I hope this is the right data I've pulled from hzbullets)

on: Yesterday at 11:19:05 PM 
Started by SuperDan - Last post by Poseidon
edit: Goldeye, the poll doesn't really matter.  everybody who has answered the question i posed in this thread has answered YES, and these are seemingly some of the people in this zone who have given this the most thought.  it seems we all feel that duds (as ive defined them) aren't worth whatever benefits they might bring, and that they result in a more boring, conservative, turtle'ing style of gameplay and increase the chances of luck being a factor.  all that matters is your opinion;  the poll would only function to try to influence your decisions.  so:

all implications considered, do you feel it would be better if we changed the settings as much as necessary such that any bullet that currently drains 100% energy the majority of the time should instead do this every single time?

I honestly don't know what the right thing to poll here would be.  There are several parts in the tradeoff to be evaluated: philosophical objection to RNG use, effects on ship balance, impact on playstyle incentives, etc.  Polls are not good for evaluating complex tradeoffs.  I'm open to just about everybody's opinions and analyses, but I believe a poll is not the right tool here.

goldeye, sry that you haven't read my posts, but i have taken the time to understand.  im gonna skip all the bullshit i was gonna include here and skip to the point:

at the heart of this, there is a very simple and important question that i think the general HZ'r understands enough to make an informed decision on:  should a bullet that takes full dmg most (~80%) of the time instead take full damage 100% of the time.  People just dont like when a ship survives a bullet on a small minority of random chances, and for good reason. anyone answering this question would already be considering the potential effects it has on ship balance and playstyle, i think your selling everyone short by thinking otherwise, and at its core, its not as complicated as you are implying.  and for the record 5/5 people who answered that question in this thread have answered in the affirmative.   

i really do think a poll is merited in this instance. i think its pretty obvious to everyone that by removing duds (as ive defined them), the playstyle of the zone in general would become less conservative and turtle'y and luck-based, and that L2 ships would benefit the most because they suffer the most from duds.  L1 ships dont expect the kill as often, and L3 ships dont dud as much.  its doesnt take much to understand these points, they are pretty intuitive.  plus these things could be spelled out in a post below the poll for good measure.

on: Yesterday at 10:52:34 PM 
Started by Poseidon - Last post by Poseidon
all we have 2 say is > qan we promise to police racism as best as we can

and mention this filter i guess we have? didnt read through all that but ya

on: Yesterday at 10:44:49 PM 
Started by Poseidon - Last post by Fur of Fur
True.. staff forums: hacky copy paste job, for reference. And in 2010 we had an active mod force... Some stuff redacted.

Re: Racism avoiding the filter.
just avoidance of the filter

I warned him a few times in regular chat throughout the day and had told Mike I'd done so. Personally he's just annoying all the time but I had to wait for him to say something again to make it a legit silence.

« Reply #4 on: HZT 23-06-2010, 18:24:05 »
Quote from: Steve Cheese on HZT 23-06-2010, 15:31:31
are we really back to trying to stop racist comments?

I agree with Steve. It's not worth it imo.

« Reply #5 on: HZT 23-06-2010, 19:40:00 »
the reason we ignore racism to a degree is the filter blocks it out, so if you dont want to see it you dont have too.  If people are intentionally trying to avoid the filter, then they are forcing the people who do not wish to see it to see it.  Personally i cant stand racism, and think it should be stopped immediatly but i also understand the nature of hz and what has happened in the past.  With that mind, only stop comments that do intentionally avoid it, unless arnk can add the new slang for it to the filter, but i would assume that will involve work.

« Reply #6 on: HZT 23-06-2010
Quote from: Steve Cheese on HZT 23-06-2010, 15:31:31
are we really back to trying to stop racist comments?
no

Quote from: Demonic on HZT 23-06-2010, 19:40:00
the reason we ignore racism to a degree is the filter blocks it out, so if you dont want to see it you dont have too.  If people are intentionally trying to avoid the filter, then they are forcing the people who do not wish to see it to see it.  Personally i cant stand racism, and think it should be stopped immediatly but i also understand the nature of hz and what has happened in the past.  With that mind, only stop comments that do intentionally avoid it, unless arnk can add the new slang for it to the filter, but i would assume that will involve work that he does not wish to do currently.
bm2 is black so it is not really racist of him to say ngr or nkr or whatever....its just ignorant.  it should be no surprise to you or anything that he is a smart as a monkey but to try and stop what people type on the internet is an impossible task

« Reply #8 on: HZT 24-06-2010, 00:08:41 »
we don't care what they say
we do care how they say it. that's the compromise, if you want to invoke a racial slur then don't try to be a dick with people who want the filter on. there's absolutely no legitimate reason to intentionally go around it--the people who don't want to see the expletive still see it, just @#%#'d out.

and being able to invoke "being black" or whatever as a justification would not really work, as if we can confirm that anyway

« Reply #9 on: HZT 24-06-2010, 02:37:05 »
Quote from: Steve Cheese on HZT 23-06-2010, 23:46:03
bm2 is black so it is not really racist of him to say ngr or nkr or whatever....its just ignorant.  it should be no surprise to you or anything that he is a smart as a monkey but to try and stop what people type on the internet is an impossible task

No Steve, if you are black, it is still racist to go and insult another black man based on the color of his skin.

That being said, I am making it very clear to people that we're tightening down on filter avoidance and not racism before thinking about a ?warn.  It's weird asking people to drop a full n-bomb instead of saying ngr, though.  :)

on: Yesterday at 10:33:41 PM 
Started by Poseidon - Last post by Musiq
that link doesn't work

on: Yesterday at 10:32:37 PM 
Also other useful information to go to QAN with.

http://rshl.org/forums/index.php/topic,27663.msg390270.html#msg390270

Seems we traditionally allow people to type whatever , but we have a filter so people don't have to see shit if they don't want to. We used to proactively go after people who went around the filter it seems.

I dont even remember what's filtered. LOL :(

Its a softer stance than TW, but being a separate jurisdiction, qan might allow it... Maybe we need to review what is filtered and agree a list with TW?

on: Yesterday at 10:31:02 PM 
ya making a non-local staff chat could be a good idea.  its hard to emphasize how chill qan came across about this.  i know its probably totally different from whatever you experienced, but like.. i dont think any of this is an issue.  it would be more just a friendly gesture from us, which is what you are saying i suppose.  as far as the racism thing goes, as long as we told qan that we'd police it as best as our activity would allow then im sure that would suffice.  i doubt it will be an issue anyways, TW players are already conditioned to not be racist.. i actually think they have bots that auto-detect it.

but if there is this new influx of newbs into our zone it def might be good to try to find a few more people down to mod and just be there to help anybody that is wanting to play, and mayb flex the + sign a lil more so these new peeps will know whats up. 

first thing though, somebody needs to contact server op Jowie and see about getting our population set up in TW's ?arena.  his steam profile is Jowie - this is the most i have been able to unearth in regards to contacting him. 

on: Yesterday at 10:25:01 PM 
Note, you'd need goldeye or someone to sign off on all this, i don't have that authority to actually offer this officially anymore.

on: Yesterday at 10:22:38 PM 
Ok no need to be an ass, long thread and you post so much I don't remember everything you type as so much gets repeated in a twisted way.

Ok granting some or all their mods arena specific power here ( ie not in rshl arenas! ) Might be useful, to make them feel welcome and encourage cross zone activity.

We can even dig up our mod warning system and train those who want to use it.. it's been a while. People pretty much stopped abusing / playing HZ so it became defunct.

They can also police racism here I guess??  And do that to their own standards. Ofc we won't have 2 linked staff chats etc, consider it 2 jurisdictions with light international policing. We could just make a zilla type chat for cross zone staff chatting - bots could even forward important messages there in the future.

on: Yesterday at 10:11:31 PM 
i mentioned it first post asshole

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 14 queries.