Hockey/Football Zone Forums (Subspace | Continuum)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Team Forums: If you need a RSHL, MSHL, or RSFL team forum, forum PM Kilo Dylie with the name of your team, and who will moderate the board.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: The State of Hockey Zone  (Read 24220 times)

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
The State of Hockey Zone
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »

I dont know if anyone cares these days, but I still enjoy playing HZ a ton. I dont play pub much, or anything like that but its super important to the zone. Our peeks use to avg around 90-100 people. Id say we know average around 40-60, I might not be correct on this, if not someone should correct me.

The fact is the zone is clearly dying, other zones have died before us and I think its getting close to that point. There has to be something done to bring new players into the game, or else HZ will just fade away. Some people may not care, but I do, and im sure there are a few others that care too.

I have a few ideas on how to potentially get new players.

First, I want to make a Reddit or Digg post, with a video on the gameplay, something to peek interest. I then want to stream the finals on Owned (Dege can do it) or on JTV, or even both. And have somebody commentate it (Would need a volunteer for this clearly)

Then we can post this in the Reddit thread (that we have upvoted as much as we can) and see if we can get some viewers, and maybe even gain ten people. That would help our zone a ton. This is just a preliminary idea, and other ideas have to be given on how we can bring in some new players.

-

-
-

zero seven

• RSFL Captain
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • :D
it's not as if i am the only person on my team with my brain.

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
Re: The State of Hockey Zone
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:52 AM »

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-majority-of-americans-just-gotta-you-know-g,19852/

Not interested in troll posts, im looking for ideas on how to bring more people to play HZ. Thats my idea, I want to do it, im looking for more.

-

-
-

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:47:20 AM »

The thing about Hockey Zone is that we are probably one of the least approachable zones for someone completely new to subspace to pick up and play. Learning how to control your ship is one thing, learning to make accurate passes and position yourself correctly on the ice is something else.

I think a 'market' (lol) that we really should make a stronger effort to engage are the trench wars hockey players who are already familiar with the gameplay and already have expressed an interest in wanting to play hockey. They have ran two absolute shit hockey leagues in the last year or two that we beat in organization and gameplay by MILES but instead of making an effort to integrate them into our community we just form our own teams and go over there and stomp on them.

They don't want to come over here because we are elitist fucks and even though they have played hockey many times before are still much worse than we are.

It also doesn't help that we purposefully kill the zone every summer. This is probably the biggest thing in this zone that makes me "what the fuck" every year. There is honestly no good reason anymore for us to not run two parallel leagues. This is not the fucking NHL where we need time to train and renegotiate contracts. If we need an arena to experiment in then make one of the leagues the accepted place for these things to occur but make it a recurring event that people know will happen and how.

Why stick around or talk to people about forming a team if you don't even know whether you will get to make your own damn teams for the next league anyway.

Everybody quits every summer because there is no RSHL and then it becomes some sort of zone clusterfuck of 'who wants to host some shit nobody cares about this year'. The fact that the phrase "bummer league" is probably more commonly used referring to these events than their actual names is a pretty good sign it's dumb as fuck.

Case in point: The playoffs will be over in something like 3-4 weeks (and RSFL will start their preseason sometime around then too) and we still know fuck-all about what our summer event(s) is/are and who is organizing it. The year I did cashpuck I honestly had something like 3-4 days to put together the original draft of rules and format and get signups started because nothing had been done and we were running out of time if we wanted to get a full-length season played.

The zone is not "dying" other than the natural decay of players that we lose because are loyally sticking to a game that is approaching it's 15th anniversary. However, we are killing this zone faster than it would naturally because we don't know how to adapt to anything and we've been doing shit the same old way for god knows how long.

Game reports for example.

I was head ref what, two years ago? No one wanted to game reports then and they would never get done. People complain about it but nobody actually tries to think of or implement any sort of solution. Last year, same shit. This year, we don't even have playoff game reports anymore. Like what the fuck. When does it have to click in that we have the power to change the way we organize things? When we don't have any games to write game reports for anymore?

/rant

Also, our community either needs to stop crying about losing players or grow the fuck up and start helping integrate new members in the community.
This is disgusting from the same community who complains about the game dying.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:56:12 AM by The Boogieman »
have you won your blackie yet?
Lanc Energy:

Shark Energy:
Nerf the prox, Buff accel or make afterburner high risk/high reward, give lanc a slapshot or increase it's shotpower, fix nrg

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 03:58:02 AM »

I 100% agree with the off-season crap. I understand people are busy in the summer, but shit the most I cant make a game is Sat, Sun, and MAYBE Mon (If I stay at a cottage for an extra day). Other than that I have as much if not more free time than the winter. People go on trips in the winter, not as much in the summer (at least in Canada)

I think something needs to be done and the EGO's of upper staff need to listen to what the majority of the zone is saying and not just make a decision for themselves and believe its right. There is usually no debate when it comes to a lot of things in this zone, which is a horrible thing.

I also think if we decide to keep football, it needs to be marketed too. This game is highly addictive, and free, I dont see how there isnt any reason not to be able to get a few people hooked.

-

-
-

WhiteIrishRebel

• white
  • Out of Control
  • 5th Highest OVERNESS in HZ
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »

seriously do we have to wait for a new season to start? look at the age poll in off topic thread... the zone is at the average age where people are just as busy in winter / spring / fall as they are in summer. we dont have class schedules, summer vacations and summer jobs any more...  we dont have 3 months off to do what ever we want irl. we have careers irl now, which is a 365 day thing minus a few sick / vacation days..

if we dont start right away because we have to wait for rsfl then at least that is an understandable reason but there r only 5? teams, prty sure both leagues can be scheduled around each other. running both leagues at the same time might even boost our population.

an obvious yet huge step to keeping this place populated is having its main draw (rshl) running more months out of the year... i apologize for coining the phrase bummer league but that is exactly what they r... but even a bummer league rdy to go right after the rshl finals would keep the zone more populated than nothing at all / just rsfl.

i'm sure every one would prefer rshl over a bummer league though... if there r tweaks to the settings why not test em out in a longer (5 games?) preseason.

who is even in charge any more? who would we even need to convince to have the league start a few weeks after this season's finals? plz show your self so we at least know.

EDIT: the more time that passes between the end of finals and the beginning of a new league the worse off we will be
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:47:02 AM by WhiteIrishRebel »

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:48 AM »

Judge is in charge for another week, then hes stepping down as LC.

They are looking for an LC. Someone who is "fit" for the job.

Id volunteer, but I know I wouldnt be "Trusted"

I just hope the next person who is LC doesnt hold an ego, and is open to some changes, the zone runs around the league, and the zone is clearly dying.

-

-
-

WhiteIrishRebel

• white
  • Out of Control
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:30 AM »

ok who picks the LC, i mean who has any say over any thing? i srsly dont even know

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 04:55:26 AM »

Arnk

-

-
-

WhiteIrishRebel

• white
  • Out of Control
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 05:01:49 AM »

mr dylie is there any way u can pick a LC nowish or outsource this task to one of your lackeys if you are 2 busy

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 05:54:24 AM »

interesting observation is.

13-14    - 0 (0%)
15-16    - 1 (1.4%)
17-18    - 3 (4.1%)
19-20    - 8 (10.8%)
21-22    - 15 (20.3%)
23-24    - 23 (31.1%)
25-26    - 10 (13.5%)
27-28    - 9 (12.2%)
29-30    - 1 (1.4%)
30+    - 4 (5.4%)

Total Voters: 74 <-- that's basically 74 active individual forum users within 36 hours of a midweek post.

Really I think we need to be doubling that number, their are number of ways to do it, leafy has outlined some excellent stratageys, They would take effort but if we had some volunteers we could do it. Iv trolled a few huge sites with adverts....and seen a few seemingly totally new players (like 4 or 5) wander in and out of zone no idea if they will come back / if its even related.

To be honest irrelevant of HMM's on the ice persona, I could work with leafy on a few things If he had the time to spare too.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

directv2

• Common Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 06:42:29 AM »

observashuns:

1) we run ppl off by being complete dix 2 them ya i know every zone does it but srsly we do 10x more shittalking n insultations then i ever c while playing tw n we haf like 20% of the population stop being complete asshiles 2 ppl (ya im included in dat will stop vsing every1 starting 2morrow) n maybe they will stay more den 1 day

2) the 2 most populated zones eg n tw almost constantly haf little mini events going on in other arenas how about we start doin some more interactive shizzit and not always make it hockey based even if it means stealing sum arena ideas from other zones ppl get sick of only havin hockey or football as choices

3) agree about idi0tic time wasting between seasons of shit we shud already haf football preseason talks goin on but we only jus started forming rosters not only dat but why rnt we advertising our leagues on other zone forums like they do 2 us? mebbe we cud talk 2 sysops of eg/tw about sponsering teams in r zone? they both have awards in zone that ppl want in form of credits or zone money or wtf ever they use. get there sysops 2 sponser teams with rewards in there zone if they win or sum shit. dis wud raise hz awareness + get ppl in zone

4) have r sysop b less of an unapproachable douchebag dat no1 can talk to cuz hes a self important ass half da time

personly i think leafy wud b gr8 LC haf talked 2 her many times n she far more respectable den expected

Leafy

• BEND THE KNEE
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »

I find that if random newbie enters the zone and starts asking questions usually someone will help him. I saw Goldeye do it the other night, and I have done it the past. I dont think thats where the problem is. The problem is, nobody is willing to hop in the game, take some shots with the newbie or train the newbie. Rukus use to hold Rukus Summer camp or whatever where he would train newbies. Maybe something like that is needed to get the people from TW who are interested in playing the game, and teach them some plays, skills etc.

I think the shittalking to newbies start when they start to get an understanding and a little "cocky" and then people just rip into them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:46:48 AM by Leafy »

-

-
-

directv2

• Common Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 07:42:23 AM »

jus spent an hour in eg n got 2 ppl 2 tell me dat they will play hz 2nite to give it a try :D

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 09:09:37 AM »

The only issue with running the RSHL in the summer (and don't get me wrong, while I used to be against having another RSHL season start in the summer, this was back when the average age of the zone WAS like 18 or 19) is you cannot have two full fledged leagues be played at the same time. I don't want this to turn into that whole anti-football argument from years passed, the RSFL is a part of the zone now and it's a good attraction. There are several players on RSFL rosters that I've never seen on RSHL rosters. The two leagues, right now, coexist very well but there's a ton of overlap. Maybe not in the staff, but definitely in the players. I'm not too familiar with RSFL scheduling, but I bet they aim for at least a game a night. During the RSHL we usually have the 8 PM and 9 PM slots filled, often the 10 PM too. It's just going to be a scheduling nightmare to schedule two leagues during the same time.

Unless you somehow convince Arnk to switch RSFL to a Sunday only league (which would be beneficial for the zone in a few ways - for one, you'd be able to have more than one RSFL season a year, and thereby have it co-exist with the RSHL and drive up zone activity) then I can't really see how you can have RSHL run year round.

With that said, there are some other good ideas in this thread. Streaming games, making posts on reddit or digg, those are great ideas. Maybe even send out an email to a Kotaku editor and push the fact that this game has been running since the mid 90's and some of us still play and have known eachother for a very long time. A Kotaku post, if well made, would get a ton of hits and I'm sure some of those would translate into new players.

BluckaBlucka

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »

could make rshl summer time slots to 5-8 so euros can play too and maybe get some life in the zone again from the 3:30-5pm times
also would allow football to start 9-11 timeslots if they would mind doing 11instead of 8 n euros can apparently make 11pm games so would let them make football 2 if they wanted 2 get involved in that
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 09:29:43 AM by D.Hasek »
Hey, I am the greatest; hey, this is the proof
Hey, I work hard, pray hard, pay dues, hey
I transform with pressure; I'm hands-on with effort
I fell twice before; my bounce back was special
Letdowns will get you, and the critics will test you But the strong will survive; another scar may bless you

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »

You can't make RSHL summer slots 5-8 because most people work 9-5 jobs. That doesn't even take into account the west coasters. A 5 PM game would be a 2 PM game for them. BA's availabilities, for example, don't even allow for 8 PM games.

As the poll shows, the average age is now within the working world, and while not everyone has 9-5 jobs, it's a pretty safe assumption that most people any times before 8 wouldn't be ideal.

Thrill HZ

• Spaceship Commentator
  • RSHL Captain
  • Out of Control
  • All stat requests go through my agent, BlueGoku
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 09:37:50 AM »

I think there are some good ideas, but we should only stream the finals if it's high scoring. If we are trying to entice new players we don't need to stream some of the turtle defense snooze fests that take place in some of the playoff games. That being said, I have some professional videography experience irl, and I have some really good ideas for some awesome videos. It'll just be getting the free time to do it. But if Arnk or someone sends me the files of the recordings of the more interesting playoff games I could work on something in my spare time.

I don't mind RSHL games in the summer but yeah 5-8 pm time slots are out of the question
thrill is super awkward and likely rubs it out to himself in the mirror

BluckaBlucka

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »

well euros can only show 5pm / 11pm time slots
and if you want to make it fair for them and allow them the chance to play 2 leagues would make it so you can recruit more euros to the zone and not only ca/us

not like you will have to play every game 5pm there is 6 7 8 pm slots also available but if there is a euro team like admirals everyteam would have to play a 5pm atleast once or twice

just trying to find a way to even it out so you can recruit more than just ca/us to fill up the zone

pretty sure most euros quitting zone because all thats available is pub/scrim
Hey, I am the greatest; hey, this is the proof
Hey, I work hard, pray hard, pay dues, hey
I transform with pressure; I'm hands-on with effort
I fell twice before; my bounce back was special
Letdowns will get you, and the critics will test you But the strong will survive; another scar may bless you

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

tbh id focus on recruiting FOOTBALL / HOCKEY fans (aka Canada / USA) once that populations up then you can consider enticing lagging euros back in, euro market way harder due too time difference and would appeal to less of us on average, even if it can be seen as a "soccer clone"

"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 15

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.