Hockey/Football Zone Forums (Subspace | Continuum)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Goals Brainstorming & Creation  (Read 1187 times)

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Goals Brainstorming & Creation
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »

A critical step in design is to establish the goals you are trying to achieve.  This gives you a context in which to create and evaluate changes.  High level goals can help lead to lower level, practical goals.
The higher level goals we can establish, the better our results are likely to be.

Here as an example fictional process that would be likely to get good results:
- Goal: Achieve competitive balance for all ships
- Analyze, define problem: Discussion and data suggest that the Nightwasp is too powerful
- Form solutions: Try reducing NW speed, maneuverability, shot power, w/e, etc.
- Test and evaluate
- Iterate: Go back to the top steps and repeat until goals are achieved

Our first step for a good design process is to create goals.

One that seems to be widely agreed upon, and we are trying to start solving while the rest of the process comes together, is:
- Effective scoring areas need to be expanded. 
Note that this is not a top level goal.  It's just one that we feel confident about at this point.  The underlying (or is it overarching?) goals for this are myriad, and not as clear.  It could be its own reason, it could be a means to allowing greater creativity and/or variety in the game, or it could be a means to reduce the effectiveness of crease sitting (which really should be a lower level goal).

Please use this thread to brainstorm problems in the game, and goals that we can work towards.  Do feel free to explain your suggestion.  As this is a brainstorm, please do not get into arguments about what is a valid goal or not.  A brief response bringing up an issue is fine, but let's not get into back-and-forths.  I will try to maintain a list of ideas here in the OP.[/u]

Possible Goals:
- Expand scoring area
- Increase variety of effective attacking and defensive styles
- Increase pace of play
- Make random damage less lame
- Ensure ships are balanced (what does this really mean?)
- Ensure goalie is fun
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:35:20 PM by Goldeye »
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

Goldeye

• Local Moderator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
Re: Goals Brainstorming & Creation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:41:15 PM »

Look at all the community involvement here!
Shlazzer> dont you ppl realize once our sun goes supernova, NOTHING anyone or anything has EVER done or said on this planet will EVER matter?

Thrill> also i have a gr8 personality

I made $124.03 for a single season of HZ!
Nubby> U could b 3rd highest payed player
Nubby> Maybe 2nd

BluckaBlucka

• Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:09:20 PM »

Its been my understanding that Javelin is only considered "over powered" because of the amount of bullets the ship can take (1-6 is too random and such a retarded number for any ship to be allowed to get away with)

if I were to say a ship is too powerful it would have to be spider as it is not based on random dmg and its base stats are the strongest where they need to be or atleast high up on the list (rotation/bullet length/bullet delay/acceleration/prox)

if the goal is to make more scoring areas we should look at decreasing overall speed but increasing majority of "OFFENSIVE SHIPS" acceleration to give them more overall control of the ship

slowing down speed and having 2 different shot types might finally bring back fades for weasel/warbird (our 2 main offensive ships which tbh should have the most looks/options for scoring but currently has directshot/sweep as its options)

thats all i got for now
BUT LIKE YOU SAID IN PREVIOUS THREAD MY OPINIONS ARE WORTHLESS SO I WASTED MY TIME ON THIS POST
Hey, I am the greatest; hey, this is the proof
Hey, I work hard, pray hard, pay dues, hey
I transform with pressure; I'm hands-on with effort
I fell twice before; my bounce back was special
Letdowns will get you, and the critics will test you But the strong will survive; another scar may bless you

Cwolf

• BEND THE KNEE
  • Common Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 06:34:57 PM »

random damage: make it simpler and eliminate duds. eg each ship could either shoot a "normal bullet" or a "big bullet." each could have 50% chance. here is a hypothetical table of bullet damage inflicted on ball carrier.

shooternormal bullet   big bullet
wb/wsl250450
spid/terr450750
jav/levi7501050
shark/lanc   450750

Doobie

• Local Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »

Goal: Decrease the effectiveness of sitting motionless on the crease.
Options:
-Improve the options the offense has
-Decrease the prox of ships sitting motionless on the crease
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 08:14:26 PM by Doobie »

Lawn Dwarf

• RSHL Captain
  • Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:15 AM »

Increasing Scoring Area (top priority in my opinion)

This immediately allows for more options, more creativity and addresses crease sitting in an INTUITIVE way.

Being able to score from further away means that a defense men

-Has to mark his guy further away from the crease
-Has to shutdown angles, which in a 2d world means being closer to the shooter

How do we achieve this?

The proximity for scoring goals in a 2d game does not change because you can't "really" score from the side of the goal.  I am saying this as if the play itself was originating from the corner.  So you have to increase the percentages from where you can score.

I think that removing slap shot delay is a step in the right direction because well executed slap passes can lead to a high percentage chance even on the side of the net.

I also like that you have to be full energy to make a slap shot so this has to be per-determined and not really something you adhoc to make sure you are effective with it.

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 03:06:36 PM »

Lot of sense in LD's post, other parts of the thread make sense too,

Increase the net size / ring width, as LD said this increases the angles you can create plays and shoot from, and forces either the defence to push out, or teams to double or tripple up and build walls of cr sitters, which is doable at the moment but would be harder with a larger area.

Regarding slapshots, I partially agree with LD, but I like the fact defence has time to react to a self activated slapshot ( + the shooter can rotate fake )

I think that changing the slap shot delay mechanism is a step in the right direction, if we could double tap slap button in effect to do an insta slap ( but with a speed penalty to a full slap ) fast passes would be viable. perhaps a sliding speed scale,

WITH PUCK:
Press slapshot with puck activates slap. if you wait it times out and fires a 100% speed slap after time X ( this could even be made longer than current slapshot to allow for more head fakes )

Press slapshot again when your slapshot is activated, fires a slapshot at 80-100% speed depending on buildup time.

WITHOUT PUCK:
Currently we have a window of execution where it either works or fails.
instead, create  a PEAK slapshot point, for example 1.5s after pressing. when the puck is recieved the slapshot speed is based on when the puck was recieved. IE. if it is a perfect slapshot it would be 110% of current slap. think bell curve graph for puck speed.

It may also be possible to play with LOW energy Slapshots if the max speed of the slap is based upon the energy on slap activation...
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Lawn Dwarf

• RSHL Captain
  • Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »

I want to clarify the scoring area.

I am not asking to make the rink or the nets bigger, in fact...I have been a long time advocate for making the rink even smaller.

The scoring area is going to be a rectangle in front of the goal itself.  I'd really like to hear from some of the goalies on this, but they will understand in today's current settings there are really only a limited number of places you are going to be scored on.

And to respond to the being able to react to someone winding up for a slap shot...if you are a defender and you see someone going to an area where they can score from, should you not be reacting to that already?

I find slap shots extremely more useful as a distraction to gain attention then actually being set up for a goal.  That's not really how it is supposed to work.  That's a by product of the mechanism of how we have it set up.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.