Hockey/Football Zone Forums (Subspace | Continuum)

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Team Forums: If you need a RSHL, MSHL, or RSFL team forum, forum PM Kilo Dylie with the name of your team, and who will moderate the board.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: do you guys just not play anymore?  (Read 2950 times)

BlueGoku

• Choke Artist
  • Ambassador
  • Out of Control
    • Center Ice
Re: do you guys just not play anymore?
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2018, 01:55:13 PM »

Clearly, leaving it up to the players doesn't work. 9-11pm straight cuts out the best scrim time for league and according to you 8pm is too early for west coast and 11pm is arguably late for east coast, so where does that leave us?

IMO the effects of an 8 PM game on west coasters and an 11 PM game for east coasters are not comparable. I literally do not get home sometimes until 5:30 or 6:00 PM PST, which means I could miss a good chunk of a game. 11 PM for east coasters means you get less sleep, but are at least available to be at or near a computer. When I was back in Toronto I had no issues with 11:00 PM games.

With that said, there are certainly compromises that can be made. An 8:30 PM game every blue moon is not the end of the world for me, and likely other west coasters. Likewise for 10:30 PM games for east coasters. So perhaps that's the solution? Scrim from 7:30 to 8:30, game, scrim from 9:30 to 10:30, game.

I dunno.

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Inspiration to Trolls Everywhere
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2018, 02:08:32 PM »

How about 9:00 and 10:30

Less intrusive on Rshl times

Allows 2 - 3 scrim games.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Steve Cheese

• Donator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:06 PM »

You have no idea what effort I go through to get games scheduled and rescheduled to ensure that teams are able to show up with minimal attendance issues and no forfeits.

It's literally hundreds of PMs and forum messages a season.

I schedule very few double headers with the hopes that the zone can be active before and after. Split double headers works in a vacuum but in reality it's impractical, especially with the league down to 6-8 teams.

As I've said many times, if someone else wants to do the scheduling it's all theirs.

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2018, 04:15:02 PM »

fwiw, i do apolgize if i suggested you didnt care at all or are a bad scheduler

cmon don't be a bucky here, you don't have to take your ball and go home

essentially nobody said they have a problem with you as a scheduler, we aren't even talking about you, we are just discussing the schedule itself.

nobody is asking you to do anything extra or is criticizing the time you put in, I'm honestly confused why you are taking this road RN.

On topic, is there a reason why one or two split double headers a week would be impractical, providing teams had the additional availabilities (10:30pm and 11pm for example) as added timeslots? I know :30 timeslots aren't programmed into the website, which might create work in regards to getting the times on the website properly and/or confirming availabilities for split headers while scheduling but I feel like those are both solvable problems.

At the end of day, there is virtually no scrim at any point in the week being played and maybe 15 minutes of pub a night. Is everybody okay with this? Should nothing be done? I don't know if the answer is scheduling, maybe there is a discord solution that solves all the problems, but this is definitely a conversation I think we need to have at this point in time.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:20:09 PM by The Boogieman »
have you won your blackie yet?

Doris Burke

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2018, 04:36:05 PM »

You have no idea what effort I go through to get games scheduled and rescheduled to ensure that teams are able to show up with minimal attendance issues and no forfeits.

I schedule very few double headers with the hopes that the zone can be active before and after. Split double headers works in a vacuum but in reality it's impractical, especially with the league down to 6-8 teams.

As I've said many times, if someone else wants to do the scheduling it's all theirs.

I have done it before, and I'm happy to do it again.

I admire the effort you put in tho, and do understand how thankless this job is.
"I like Fur, and I would expect some good slapshot outlets from him on defense." - Thrill 2011

Kula

• HZ Media
  • Registered Posting Bot
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 06:20:37 PM »

I would probably quit RSHL if Furry took scheduler from Steve Cheese

P.S. I was scheduler for 4 seasons or more, it is the shittiest job in the zone but Steve is good at it and it's what keeps league going. If windy Furry jumps in and pushes Steve out we'll be without a scheduler in 1 month time and league will be dead.

I have avoiding saying mean things in HZ for a long time but seeing Furry and Boogie team up against Steve Cheese is disturbing. Shut the fuck up you two.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:23:30 PM by Kula »

memorize

• Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »

what the fuck is going onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

steve is saying he has done a shit ton already to the point where he can't do much else, so it's kinda up to the pop to do more

he can't force people to stay and play. he has no control over that. all he does is scheduling (scheduling with the time slots given to him from teams). and i'm assuming teams talked amongst each other to create available timeslots. well, if teams have a hard time showing to even pre-scheduled and organized rshl games, what else must steve do to help others play?
what's this thread about?

Fur of Fur

• Samba Lagger
  • Donator
  • Hockey Zone Watch.
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2018, 08:44:41 PM »

Classic Kula, let's rant at fur for absolutely no fucking  reason. Just maybe I should have had your level of maturity, I could have saved myself so much effort and quit HZ years ago. Best of all, imagine a forum rant mid seaso blaming all the times you undermined anything anyone did and bitched to arnk / goldeye behind their back*, that would be an awesome read.

Pretty sure that Steve quite literally offered the job to anyone who wants it in public forums. To me that means that anyone, and everyone are free to offer to do the said role. What comes of any genuine offer, well that is down to Steve and the current leauge commission. Yet my words, which complimented  his effort, now mean what? an open attack on his effort? Seriously, if you want to rant go whine about laggo, everyone has that right for the shit he has caused. But no, in this instance your tar brushing is fucked up, in summary: fuck off.

If anything is concerning, it would be the fact Steve clearly seems unhappy... He literally just said that anyone else can take the job... So whats the dealio Steve? What can the zone do to help you?

Where in this thread have I said anything negative about the great work of our scheduler. Can we not have any kind of debate anymore about how to try and improve HZ? Probably I should accept the inevitable decline... But some of us are still playing from distant lands and that means 3am or 4am games.Thats our choice, I would never wish to impose those kind of antisocial game hours on you.

Feel free to use your deranged logic and apply it to the last few posts. If they drive your decision to quit, I assure you that anyone reading will see this looks like you just wanted a reason to go out with some classic HZ moronic forum drama.

*This paragraph may be based on a most likely fictional delusion, with a sprinkling of sarcasm and a whole side order of your house special -unreasonable bullhit.

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2018, 09:47:38 PM »

teaming up on steve? the fuck?

talk about a thread derailed

in summary

• we just want to find a way to play HZ more consistently either artificially (a ladder, some kind of carrot) or naturally (taking advantage of when people are already online, ie between rshl)
  • everybody appreciates the work Steve Cheese does, and for that matter anybody who volunteers
  • nobody intended to insult Cheese and im pretty sure nobody said anything direct about the scheduler at all, or even suggested the schedule did not work as done right now

lets all take a step back and take a deep breath

tbh this whole "how can we get pub/scrim going more regularly" should maybe be it's own thread. Weeze had some ideas for a weekend tournament or something as well, that could be interesting.

Doris Burke

Lawn Dwarf

• RSHL Captain
  • Registered Posting Whore
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2018, 09:53:30 PM »

my 2 cents.

as a captain, Steve does an incredible job.  He makes it extremely easy, i'm sure he has some tough customers but the handful of times we've had any scheduling issue in the past (usually post season) it's handled almost immediately.

my experience with hockey zone in its current state is i don't really care how active it is, public game play is putrid.  scrim is usually the same 3-4 people who get captain and pick their friends...shit i can't even get picked anymore!  not complaining, if i was captain i'd do the same thing.

i think there might be better ways to go around creating zone activity.

such as...host an event.  this is very easy to do, and i'm sure a moderator will support you. the couple of times i did it, there was good zone activity and we had good turn outs.

mini tournaments, settings changes, anything that can change the current meta would be REALLY nice.

NCVinyl

• RSHL Captain
  • Mensa 125
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2018, 11:07:38 PM »

we aren't even talking about you,

dont take what i said so personally

you are the scheduler so what you feel like or not feel like doing matters

Like I said, I feel like you're trying to kick the can down the road because you don't want to deal with the effort of actually making change. Which is fine. You specifically don't necessarily have to do much outside of your usual responsibilities for something like this. It's not required.

Steve is the man n does a really good job.
RN

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2018, 11:30:46 PM »

essentially nobody said they have a problem with you as a scheduler, we aren't even talking about you, we are just discussing the schedule itself.

Are you just going to pretend like the first sentence in that statement wasn't there? Are you just going to pretend like the part after the comma where I CLARIFY doesn't exist? You realize you're intentionally trying to mislead people, right?

I don't really see what in that post is talking about steve in a negative way regarding his abilities as a scheduler

You realize there is context in the statement "we aren't even talking about you['re ability as a scheduler]"? Why do you just isolate that statement on it's own like I didn't give clear context right before?

Just because I mention steve doesn't mean im disparaging him or talking about his job. I'm literally talking about his opinion as a person with a title in that thread.

Go back to high school, jesus. Your reading comprehension needs some improvement.

Doris Burke

NCVinyl

• RSHL Captain
  • Mensa 125
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »

stating 'he is kicking the can down the road and doesn't want to deal with additional effort of making change' is a passive aggressive way to talk about Steve negatively. you do see that...right?

so back the fuck off steve. or i will personally ban you, with my fists irl.
RN

Steppenwolf

• Blades
  • Making a Name
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »

Well it's a good thing I don't believe in methadone, Suboxone or twelve steps, therefore my coming to the defense of Steve is based entirely on the  fact that you are a cunt.
Goto hell Boogie.

Leafy

• ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Armed and Dangerous
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2018, 12:47:28 AM »

Please keep doing what you're doing. You do it well.

Boogie - Please don't shit talk someone who has been doing a job consistently for seasons. You had one crack at LC and quit after a month.

FUR - We appreciate things you've done for the zone but you've gone on long hiatus before. Steve has been one of the consistent bright spots on the staff.

-

-
-

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2018, 12:48:01 AM »

stating 'he is kicking the can down the road and doesn't want to deal with additional effort of making change' is a passive aggressive way to talk about Steve negatively. you do see that...right?

so back the fuck off steve. or i will personally ban you, with my fists irl.

How is it negative? Did you miss the part where I said "you don't have to do any extra work so it's fine to do that" or what? Steve of all people has every right to not want to do more work if he isn't down for that.

Steve has done more for this zone than 99% of it's players, why would I attack him over that?

Why don't you contribute something to the zone other than more text bullshit before you criticize others for brainstorming how to make things a bit better for everyone else. You're going to bat over nothing and in the process actually derailing a productive conversation. So politely, fuck off.

As for steppenwolf, talk to me when you can manage to save more than every other shot that hits the net. Your own team is waiting/begging to replace you with Slim Reaper so if anyone is in a position to shit talk, it's definitely not you.

Doris Burke

NCVinyl

• RSHL Captain
  • Mensa 125
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2018, 12:58:16 AM »

from my BOD topic after having a conversation with cheese about my idea.

Would we benefit having more availability selections on scheduling? Example: opening up 8:30 and 9:30 and 10:30 games. I like the idea of more flexibility for captains/scheduler and finding common ground between the different time zones. With this we might see more staggered game times. Like 8:30pm and 10pm game with some pub/scrim activity between the two.

Biggest benefit is flexibility for scheduler.

As previously discussed I think this is a good idea.

i'll just leave this here for you mr.boogieman.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 01:02:45 AM by NCVinyl »
RN

The Boogieman

• Lancaster Savant
  • ROLLY BLOODBOWL
  • Out of Control
  • WHERE IS IFFUB?
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2018, 01:57:56 AM »

Well, either something changed between 2016 and 2018 to make Steve Cheese change his mind about :30 timeslots being a good idea, or more likely Cheese just forgot that suggestion ever happened and has new reasons for why :30 timeslots would be bad.

I don't know what those reasons could be, and at this point, I'm too afraid to ask. Wouldn't want to offend.

Some kind of event or tournament seems like a much easier endeavor to get off the ground than changing timeslots. Me and Weeze were already talking about something like this, so maybe with Fur's bot we can get something interesting going. Feel free to PM if you have any ideas or would be interesting in helping in some capacity.

Please keep doing what you're doing. You do it well.

Boogie - Please don't shit talk someone who has been doing a job consistently for seasons. You had one crack at LC and quit after a month.

lol the fuck? I was never LC. Other than the multiple summer leagues I've LC'd, which have all run without a hitch. Not sure what you're referring to. Maybe me being Head Ref, but I didn't quit. Could you imagine Boogieman the LC? No one would forget that season because we'd actually have team arenas.

Doris Burke

Steve Cheese

• Donator
  • My post count proves I'm better than you
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2018, 10:24:24 AM »

I have forgotten nothing nor changed my mind...

Do you need to go back to school because your reading comprehension is fucked. I have never and will never suggest :30 past times are a bad idea.  In fact I'm the only RSHL scheduler to ever schedule games as such.

Ellis D.

• Cya
  • New Car
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2018, 10:27:50 AM »

It's pretty obvious what's causing zone activity to decline, and it's been happening for years.  We're all old and have lives, families, jobs, etc.  The days of everyone racing home from school to play Subspace are over for most of us. 
It can even be hard to get away to play a one hour scheduled game- let alone scrim for fun on free time, and when those moments do come up and we check zone numbers they are at 0.

I don't have an answer other than getting more young people to play. 
We have a flickering torch and no one to hand it to.

sadface
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 24 queries.